Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help to trace the voltage noise density with LTspice

Status
Not open for further replies.

glias

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all
Does anyone could help me to trace the voltage noise density of an op amp stage with LTspice ?

thanks a lot

I don't use LTspice but if you run a noise analysis you should then be able to probe devices to find their contribution to the output noise. That way you can track down the main noise generating components.

Keith.

Re: Need help to trace the voltage noise density with LTspic

Hello
here is the snap shot of the design stage and the noise ...
I don't see 1/f noise and the broadband noise. Do you have an idea ? I probably make a mistake on the spice command line.

regards

**broken link removed**

Be careful about using zero for the input voltage - it will give erroneous results. I would suggest you use a small DC input voltage.

The real problem is that I don't think the LT1012 model doesn't model the noise correctly. Try changing the model to the AD743 and see what happens (you will need to change the biasing to ensure it is within the working range of the opamp). It should look more like what you expect, including 1/f noise.

You might find it easier to use a unity gain follower to avoid DC problems (leave off R2).

Keith.

Hello
Thanks for your help, I tried whith the AD742, it doesn't seem to be good (2.9nV/sqrt(Hz) @ 10kHz specified in the datasheet).
I'm not sure I use correctly the spice command...

**broken link removed**

You cannot run the AD743 at only 0.5V above the negative rail. Try a 5V DC offset.

Keith.

glias

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Hello
well you're right, the characteritic is better but not exactly the same into the datasheet for the same gain (=1).
I'm wondering if the simulation is relevant

what is your opinion ?

thanks a lot for your help

**broken link removed**[/img]

PS : the noise is about 4nV/sqrt(Hz) with a shunt for the feedback.

You should remove the 1k resistor - it will be increasing the noise. Use a short circuit. It should then be pretty close to the data sheet, if not exactly the same values.

Keith.

Yes, as I mention you in the precedent post, the value is better but not the same as specified in the datasheet as you can see in the extract :

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

in the high frequency region, the noise begin to rise @ 200kHz in the simulation and 20kHz for the spec... what's wrong in my simulation ?

My simulation gives 3.23nV/rt(Hz) at 10kHz. I think the other discrepancies are probably that the model isn't accurate. This is not uncommon. Some opamp models don't include noise at all. Some have huge amounts of noise (because they don't attempt to model noise correctly). Sometimes the header of the model will say which features of the opamp are accurately modelled.

Keith.

I have the same as yours : 3.23V/√Hz ... no explication for the difference in the high frequency region

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back