Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple circuit for electrostatic discharge protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrocomp

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I have create da device using a webcam. I have opnned the cover of webcam and put it in a small metal cube. The webcam interface is a usb cable. I have connected the body of the metal cube to the USB ground to prevent electric discharge. The reason that I have removed the cover of the webcam is that the cube must be very small and the cover is taking some space.

The problem is that, also I have connected the body of the cube to the ground of the USB, when someone with electrostatic chrage touches the metal for the first time, the electrostatic discharge goes into the motherboard and restarts the computer. Also sometimes, the computer is not restarted, but the camera is disabled and I have to unplug and plug int again to the USB port. How can I protect this device from this kind of electrostatic discharge? Is there any simple circuit? Why this happen. Also I have disconnected the body of the cube from the usb ground pin, but the problem exists.

Thanks in advance.

Couldn't be simpler. Put a 10K or higher resister between the metal surface and ground.

Really, you should be following some ESD procedures... antistatic mats, bracelets, etc...
At the very least have people to touch a real ground before touching equipment!

Status
Not open for further replies.