Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I use PCI slot as ISA slot? (window driver)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccchang

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I browse through the internet, but i hardly understand how to build a PCI driver. So is it possible to treat PCI slot as ISA slot. What I mean is can use the _INP and _OUTP function to send data through PCI slot ?

My device application may not so complicated, I just want send data and receive data one by one through the PCI slots.

Attached link show how to write a dll for ISA ports. Can I use it to PCI slot too ? Mean I find out the PCI slot address and just put my data to that address.
https://www.boondog.com/tutorials/dlltutor/dlltutor.htm

Thanks and Best Regards,
--ccchang

in practice it will be very difficult for a beginner to write a pgm
to access PCI card using inp and outp instructions.

i)you cannot just like access ports under win2k , xp etc.

ii)knowing the port address is difficult .it is dynamically allocated.

iii)unless kernel level experience is available , accessing PCI with
the method shown by you is not possible.

srizbf
4thjune2010

I believe you could do simple things with PCI. First you need to read the configuration area and find the IO or memory base addresses and then use the base addresses to access device registers. Since these things are device dependent, you sure need the device's data sheet you want to access. This method should work theoretically, but no good for any serious PCI programming. It may be helpful to use the APIs from the library available at **broken link removed**. You could get away without doing kernel programming.

I think you can benefit from Jungo's WinDriver software (www.jungo.com).

As per that, when you insert your card in PCI slot and run Jungo's software, it will enumerate the bus and list all the Vendor and Device ID. Then you can select your device and generate a baseline driver with test application. You can extend that generated code to implement the full driver for your device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back