Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor operation in CE region(mainly saturation region).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urmi

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I'm not exactly sure this is the right forum,but I couldn't find any more appropriate forums to post this question.

Okay...the thing is,in the saturation region of,say a PNP transistor in CE configuration,we need to forward bias the C-B junction.

The question is,why don't we attach a battery between the collector and emitter (Vce) with its positive pole on the collector? Wouldn't that forward bias the c-b junction?

(In C-B configuration,it's easy to forward bias the C-B junction,as we have a battery directly between the Collector and Base,called Vbc....but in CE config,it seems that we don;t exactly forward bias the C-B junction,we only make the Vce at a lower reverse bias....but I feel we could indeed forward bias the C-B junction by doing what I suggested above.....then why don't why don't we do that??)

I don't understand what you mean by 'CE region'. In a common emitter circuit used for switching, forward biasing the collector-base junction is undesirable - it slows down switching. That is why a Schottky diode is often added from base to collector in switching circuits.

Keith

Re: Transistor operation in CE region(mainly saturation regi

Sorry,that was a mistake in the title I put,but I think I explained my question elaborately enough in the thread itself.
I'm not talking about the transistor as a switch...I'm only at a very elementary level,and I haven't read about the applications of the transistor yet....I was focusing on the output characteristics of the bjt,in ce configuration,and specifically about the characteristics in the saturation region.

Status
Not open for further replies.