+ Post New Thread
    Junior Member level 2

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Transistor operation in CE region(mainly saturation region).

Hi,
    I'm not exactly sure this is the right forum,but I couldn't find any more appropriate forums to post this question.

Okay...the thing is,in the saturation region of,say a PNP transistor in CE configuration,we need to forward bias the C-B junction.

The question is,why don't we attach a battery between the collector and emitter (Vce) with its positive pole on the collector? Wouldn't that forward bias the c-b junction?

(In C-B configuration,it's easy to forward bias the C-B junction,as we have a battery directly between the Collector and Base,called Vbc....but in CE config,it seems that we don;t exactly forward bias the C-B junction,we only make the Vce at a lower reverse bias....but I feel we could indeed forward bias the C-B junction by doing what I suggested above.....then why don't why don't we do that??)

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Helped
    2075 / 2075
    Level

Transistor operation in CE region(mainly saturation region).

I don't understand what you mean by 'CE region'. In a common emitter circuit used for switching, forward biasing the collector-base junction is undesirable - it slows down switching. That is why a Schottky diode is often added from base to collector in switching circuits.

Keith
    I started life with nothing and I've still got most of it left. (Seasick Steve)

•   AltAdvertisement

Junior Member level 2

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Re: Transistor operation in CE region(mainly saturation regi

Sorry,that was a mistake in the title I put,but I think I explained my question elaborately enough in the thread itself.
    I'm not talking about the transistor as a switch...I'm only at a very elementary level,and I haven't read about the applications of the transistor yet....I was focusing on the output characteristics of the bjt,in ce configuration,and specifically about the characteristics in the saturation region.

--[[ ]]--