Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Req: Tektronix 2710 Spectrum analizer manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

jivega

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
tektronix 2710

I need manual for Tektronix 2710 Spectrum analizer.

Thanks

Jimmy :(

tektronix 2710 manual

Did you ever get one Jimmy?

If not cCan anyone help find a service manual/schematic diagram etc for this?

Tektronix stopped support for it in 2002.

Thankyou,
Roland.

tek 2710

I have one of these, recently obtained because it seems to have gone faulty.

It fails all memory diagnostics, the file system seems full & I cannot empty it & there are spurious chacters appearing on the screen.
I think that the NVram may be faulty.

has anyone any experience of the insides of these Spec/analizers?

tektronix 2710 service manual

I did see the manuals on ebay, available as PDF.

Mine is still in the loft awaiting repair, I think I may have to replace the battery & reset it but it's a special so will have to wait.

I think I may just ebay it.. lol

tek 2710 vbw

Hi,

mine 2710 has the same problems as yours! Did you repair yours already ? BTW i got the service manual as PDF.

Reactions: janjan

janjan

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
spectrum analizer

Hi Visa40, no mine is still in storage unil I can get around to it.
Any chance of a copy of the service manual you have?
Cheers,
Roland

manual em português tektronix 2710

Hi!

Guess so i will be first to fix our Problem .-)
Mine shows strange characters on the left side of screen ("F"). The NVRAM seems not to work correct. Can not be intialized and the Address and Data line tests fail. As i try to normalize the rig, most of the tests fail... The "File System" of the NVRAM is defect and can not be repaired by the rigs software. Strange files (about 60) named "SSSSSS" that can not be deleted. Only to tell you what mine does...

I figured out that the NVRAM is a 32kx8 SRAM chip on the "Display Storage" board. The Battery (probably 3.6V) on the Display storage Boad had only 2.5V. So i replaced it by a new one (while battery was disconnected, i did short circuit the cap to bring the voltage on the SRAM completely down), but that didn't fix the Problem. The rig stills shows the same problems as before, even without the battery :)

So my guess is that the low VCC voltage to the SRAM, over time, kill it. Maybe the SRAM or the Bus drivers. Maybe the SRAM has only a slight fault due to the low voltage. As is disconnected the CEnot pin from the system an tied it to VCC, the display did only show dots, but no characters at all. Strange, maybe the SRAM is used as display storage, too. But that way, at least part of the RAM has to work correct. Strange thing.... I will do a bit of testing with my Scope as i get time.

If you know something new what the problems root cause is, tell me.

About the Service guide. I bought a scanned Copy as PDF for 19 Bugs :-( Best i could get... I will send you a private mail...

Jay

텍트로닉스 2710

Thanks for the manual Jay, yes mine has similar sounding fault as yours although its been a long time since I looked.

Unfortunately its not high on my list of priorities right now but when.if I find out more I'll let you know here.

Thanks.
Roland.

droe cell battery

Hi all,

My 2710 has the exact same problem (strange characters on screen, asterisks, F "SSSS" files, and memtest failures).

When it first happened, I was surprised that the tek seemed to have crashed, so I powered down, powered up, and it was fine (yes I use Windows a lot too). A bit later the Tek went haywire again, forever...

I replaced both the battery AND the SDRAM, but that did not solve it :(

Soon, I will swap over my display board to a friend's (known working board) to see if the problem is in the displayboard [or not].

I contacted Tektronix, and they say not to know this issue. They offered to do a best effort repair on a component base (no boards left @ Tek), but I declined since it will cost a lot (shipping it from the Netherlands back and forth to Tek alone...)

Anyway, I am one unhappy 2710 owner... if I do find the root cause I will let you know what it was. I sure hope someone beats me to it :D

Regards,

David

manual old instrument tektronix

Hi,

here is another 2710 which had this problem.
I bought it from a colleague who described these symptoms before repair:
- Power-on messages about NVRAM / file system errors
- Spurious characters on the display
- Useless files which could not be deleted

After exchanging battery, RAM and bus drivers on the display storage board, he used a logic analyzer to track down the error to a faulty OE- signal from PLD U352 Pin 24 to bus driver U462 Pin 19. The CPU could still write to the NVRAM, but reading was not possible.

The faulty OE- signal could be reconstructed from other existing signals by two SMD logic circuits (74HCT04 and 74HCT00).
After his repair, almost all analyzer functions worked, but many amplitude normalizations always failed.

It cost me some more hours to find out that the CPU will read the acquired signal not only from the NVRAM, but also accesses the ADC data directly. The logic signal for this is called REDAT-.

So I extended the replacement circuit, and now the amplitude normalizations also work. It seems that REDAT- is not used during normal operation, but only for calibration.

A simplified but logically equivalent circuit is attached as PDF. It uses a 74HCT08 and 74HCT00 for reconstruction.

The ICs are stacked onto U566 (right besides the bus connector) and powered by vertically soldered wires on Pins 7 and 14. All other pins have been bent to go out straight horizontally and are connected using thin isolated copper wire (as used e.g. for transformers).
Pin 19 of the bus driver U462 is lifted from the PCB, the original DROE- signal is taken from the PCB-pad and the reconstructed signal is routed to the pin.

I cannot be sure that all 2710 can be repaired this way, but since the symptoms described here are very coincident, there is a good chance to make them all work again.

Good luck,
Andreas.

tektronix 2710

Well done for figuring out your repair, lets hope that it may also help others with this apparently common fault to this beast of an analyser.

hilo all-07 manual pdf

I'm curious, what type of PLD is U352? I've heard that old bipolar fuse devices sometimes experience fuse grow-back, and EPROM-based devices can gradually erase themselves over decades.

I have some nice 30+ year old instruments that use PALs, EPROMs and other early programmable devices. I've considered backing up their contents, just in case. Hopefully the security fuse isn't set.

2710 tektronix service manual

It is a PLS173 from Signetics / Philips / NXP. There are a total of 10 (ten) devices from this series on the display storage board, each dissipating 600 to 750mW, causing much heat. They are indeed programmed by burning NiCr fuses.

I also had this thought to back-up all possibly volatile data before it is lost. Maybe I should start copying the EPROMs to new CMOS devices, which can then be OTPs...

Is anyone capable to read out such PLDs, or otherwise get the logic schematic from inside? Modern programmable logic needs much less power.

service manual tektronix 2710

Andreas,

You have made me VERY HAPPY!!!!

My analyser is working again!!!

:D

So folks, if this is the problem you have give it a try.

I did not get (understand) the part about REDAT, and also I find it strange that the DROE is "broken" but used in rebuilding DROE. But hey, it works...

THANK YOU!!!

David

tektronix 2712 manual

I found that the older programmers from HI-LO Systems, at least ALL-01 up to ALL-07, probably also ALL-11 are supporting PLS173, cause the device has no protection, it can always be read-back by this programmers.

P.S: Most likely a GAL22V10 can replace the PLS173.

manual tektronix 2710

Congratulations, David!

Assuming that any PLD could fail, and that any part of even one specific PLD could fail, my confidence decreased, but the symptoms seem to direct specifically onto this one fault.

FvM: The GAL22V10 will probably work. Some of the pins used on the PLS173 (PLCC-28) are "NC" pins for the GAL, but these may be connected to other pins of the GAL which are unconnected on the board.

Unsoldering PLCCs without special tools is rather difficult, I think?

tek 2710 user manual

I was assuming a DIL24 package. PLS173 is actually a 24 pin device as GAL22V10, but the PLCC28 mapping is different, unfortunately.

Some special tools are needed for desolder, I would use PLCC desolder tweezers, but also steel foil could be used as a spacer to desolder the pins one after another.

tektronix 2710 error codes

Andreas,

Thank you!

I have some experience with electronics and electronics failures in that you have something called "critical designs". On paper a design could look solid, where in practice it can fail most always in one certain way.

Since multiple people have reported this very bug, I think the design of U352 is an example of such a critical design.

This does not automatically imply a whole device or range of devices WILL fail.

It does also not say that no other failures will surface, but in most cases there won't be other failures.

I will investigate U352, and try to get hold of a couple, or the design...

Desoldering these devices is easy, if you don't need them in 1 piece: cut the pins from the top, using a sharp knife. With all the pins stil in place, remove the plastic body, the desolder all pins...

Desoldering without special tools... is easiest when using two soldering irons and a lot of tin...

Good luck,

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back