Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to decide of number of layers

Status
Not open for further replies.

arm_learner

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Could anyone tell me how to decide the number of layers?

:)

For low frequencies two will work. For higher frequencies four is the minimum to pass EMI tests. From there it is the number of interconnects. Once you get into the ECL range and use differential pairs, you put them on inner layers between two ground planes.

It really depende on the application, the cost restriction and complexity involved and of course the frequency wether it is Analog or Digital or mixed circuit.

If you specify more maybe we can help with suggestions

gam said:
It really depende on the application, the cost restriction and complexity involved and of course the frequency wether it is Analog or Digital or mixed circuit.

If you specify more maybe we can help with suggestions

My PCB is for 200MHz and digital circuit only.
Thankz~~

for 200MHz u should go for atleast 4 layer, and may add up depending upon the net density.

Contact firms who will make your PCBs and ask them how many layers they can make so thats max num of layers which you can apply.

In my country its 2 layers max.

Mr.Cube

mrcube_ns said:
Contact firms who will make your PCBs and ask them how many layers they can make so thats max num of layers which you can apply.

In my country its 2 layers max.

Mr.Cube

8O only two layers. so how u do highspeed design ckts

binu g

signal speed, ref layers need, and crosstalk... etc.

I guess it's tightly depend on your voltage levels used.
If the most of voltage levels are the same one, you can use 4layers.
And if you need wire a lot of transmission lines to compensate impedence, maybe you need 6 layers. You can try and error.
Good Luck.

The number of layers in a circuit board are determined by:

1. Are you going to control impedance? If so, then you need a continuous reference plane adjacent to the controlled impedance signal layer.
2. The number of layers should be even, and the core and prepreg dielectric thicknesses should be balanced. Odd number of layers, or unbalances thicknesses, in a stackup generally result in warping and/or cupping in the finished board.
3. Are there critical traces that need to be isolated from other signals? If so, you may need to dedicate a layer to them.
4. Are there multiple power supplies? If so, you may want to include a split power plane to distribute the power. The split plane should be adjacent to a continuous ground reference plane. High speed/critical signal traces should not be adjacent to the splits, because the return path will be interrupted.
5. Will the frequencies used tend to radiate from the board? If so, you may need to flood the outside layers with grounded copper. The signal layers would then be internal, and you would still need to consider 1-4 above.

As you can see, there is no cookbook answer - it depends on what you are trying to do (this is also called "engineering").

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back