Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VHDL - Shift register

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheetuz

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi folks.

I have been doing a project for uni where i am using shift registers to convert a 4bit number to serial and then back to parallel.

I have written the code below and simulated it, and it seems to work fine, however when i have actually built the circuit it is not functioning at all as expected.

-This is only the first shift register of the pair ... the number being concatinated onto the original signal is essential to the functioning of the second shift register.

Code:
library ieee;
use ieee.std_logic_1164.all;
use ieee.numeric_std.all;

entity Shift_reg is port (
	bin	: in unsigned(3 downto 0);
	sout	: out std_logic;
	load, clk	: in std_logic );

--		attribute pin_numbers of Shift_reg: entity is
--		"bin(0):2 bin(1):3 bin(2):4 bin(3):5 load:6 sout:19";

end Shift_reg;

architecture reg of Shift_reg is

begin
	Right:	process (clk, bin, load)
		variable temp : unsigned (7 downto 0);
		begin
			if rising_edge(clk) then
				if load = '1' then temp := (bin&"1101");
				else temp := temp srl 1;
 			    end if;
			end if;
		sout <= temp(0);
	end process Right;
end reg;

The output is not changing when i apply a clock pulse to the clock input, I think it may have something to do with me not setting temp to a value before i initialise the code but am really not sure.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

/Pete

Pheetuz said:
Hi folks.

I have been doing a project for uni where i am using shift registers to convert a 4bit number to serial and then back to parallel.

I have written the code below and simulated it, and it seems to work fine, however when i have actually built the circuit it is not functioning at all as expected.

-This is only the first shift register of the pair ... the number being concatinated onto the original signal is essential to the functioning of the second shift register.

Code:
library ieee;
use ieee.std_logic_1164.all;
use ieee.numeric_std.all;

entity Shift_reg is port (
	bin	: in unsigned(3 downto 0);
	sout	: out std_logic;
	load, clk	: in std_logic );

--		attribute pin_numbers of Shift_reg: entity is
--		"bin(0):2 bin(1):3 bin(2):4 bin(3):5 load:6 sout:19";

end Shift_reg;

architecture reg of Shift_reg is

begin
	Right:	process (clk, bin, load)
		variable temp : unsigned (7 downto 0);
		begin
			if rising_edge(clk) then
				if load = '1' then temp := (bin&"1101");
				else temp := temp srl 1;
 			    end if;
			end if;
		sout <= temp(0);
	end process Right;
end reg;

The output is not changing when i apply a clock pulse to the clock input, I think it may have something to do with me not setting temp to a value before i initialise the code but am really not sure.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

/Pete

Hello,
Few quick notes:

1. Your process sensitivity list has more than desired signals - just have clk and leave the rest out - most of the designs are synchronous

2. You lack a reset, some of the FPGAs may not need it, but it is a GREAT idea to have one - this is almost the numero uno mistake that first time HW designers do.

3. You maybe better off running a lint checker prior to doing synthesis, look at ALINT from www.aldec.com for instance.

HTH
TeamCVC
www.cvcblr.com/blog

Status
Not open for further replies.