Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what happened to ATMEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Microchip is to buy atmel

Microchip has announced today of the acquisition of Atmel. The announcement was a big surprise to everyone as both companies believed to be stable on market with their unique technologies.

Is this a true story?

original link:
**broken link removed**

The article in your link is about 3 years old, it is dated October 2, 2008

Alex

I can say that Atmel currently is in the best state ever - you can see the shares. Sales are booming, especially in the capacitive sensing market (maxT). If you look at XMega and UC3 processors - they are top class.

Some chinese manufacturer buys all atmel production for year two in ahead.

---------- Post added at 00:17 ---------- Previous post was at 00:16 ----------

the AVR is AVR not changed

Only if we forget bad flash memory in lots of manufactured chips!!!

And official answer for that we dont have time to check every piece.

---------- Post added at 02:06 ---------- Previous post was at 00:17 ----------

Atmel – “Not recommended. Taking a job here is a big gamble. You might like it, but you more than likely will hate it.”

**broken link removed**

---------- Post added at 02:09 ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 ----------

**broken link removed**

Only if we forget bad flash memory in lots of manufactured chips!!!

And official answer for that we don't have time to check every piece.

Do you have any links available, I wasn't able to find any related article using Google.
I would like to learn more about this.

Alex

Some on one sec search:

View topic - All atmel production SOLD OUT :: AVR Freaks

---------- Post added at 08:57 ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 ----------

Just type in google "Atmel sold all production..." I have somewhere official post from Atmel about that if I find this I will post.

Meanwhile read this:

ATmega Slugs - News - SparkFun Electronics

---------- Post added at 08:59 ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 ----------

In my country from begining of 2010 Atmel uC is difficult to find in market. Now is little better, but ATMega8 cost about 5eur.

I don't see anything related to a batch of malfunctioning chips from ATMEL, the sparkfun article if for a bunch of fakes they got from China.
You say there was a malfunctioning production from Atmel?
Which chips did it involve?

Alex

I don’t know much what are the issues with these companies but I know this one, Microchip use Atmel’s product (25DF041A)inside PICKit3.I just found that weird....

In India,Kolkata Atmel's AT89S52 cost around INR 35.00 that’s the cheapest from Atmel I have found. But I am a Microchip user always...

Let us not exaggerate, the links provided about ATMEL prove absolutely nothing. If we have any serious reference we would gladly discuss it. But talking about chatter on forums, employees that got fired, supposed broken memories etc is another thing. About the original post on ATMEL's prices, yes they went up the past couple of years, that's true. But I recently searched for ATmega169 prices and observed that went 0.50E (or so) down compared to 6 months ago. Let us hope that the prices will eventually drop...

tpetar said:
Problems start at begining of 2010

Please provide something more official as reference.

Last edited:

Hongbo said:
or negotiate with ATMEL.

You must be a really HUGE company to negotiate directly with ATMEL! I think you mean ATMEL's distributors.

Status
Not open for further replies.