Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing automatic power source selection circuit. Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

punishermoose

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to design a simple, low cost circuit that can automatically select (using logic) a voltage source.

I have a product that has a pic on board along with a battery connector (goes to 5V reg) and a programming port that is also able to supply voltage. The combined sources (for unknown reasons because the reg should be able to handle it) causes the pic to stop functioning.

I'd like to eliminate the problem by having circuitry decide to use the battery only if the programming port voltage is not present. The logic is easy -- the part selection is not. I could definitely use a bit of help here.

Any ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I should have mentioned that this product is fairly old school and uses 9V batteries or a 9V (14V unloaded) wall adapter for the two voltage sources in question.

Re: Designing automatic power source selection circuit. Help

punishermoose said:
I should have mentioned that this product is fairly old school and uses 9V batteries or a 9V (14V unloaded) wall adapter for the two voltage sources in question.
Can't you simply use 2 Schottky Silicon Diodes? Anode to + of each power supply, cathodes connected together, providing the highest voltage from both sources minus .5V

Status
Not open for further replies.