Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

powering HAIER netbook using car battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

XT.5155

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
powering HAIER netbook

I would like to connect HAIER X107 netbook to a car battery (12 volts). Is it OK to connect directly the battery to the power connector in the netbook (using the suitable plug).

I would like to still be able to use the computer while out in the bush, that's the reason why I need to power it with car battery.

Thank you in advance
XT

Re: powering HAIER netbook

'suitable plug' ?
it means you are directly giving 12V.

What is the supply voltage for HAIER?
use an adapter for 12v to reqd voltage .

srizbf
17thmay2010

XT.5155

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I'm using it right now to type this posting. Ok here is the spec. of the power adaptor::

INPUT: 100-240V 1.5A 50/60MHz

OUTPUT: +19V 2.1A

well it seems that I have to use 24V car battery. using adjustable power supply IC to get 19V, all will be set.

I've to check the datasheet though whether the IC can handle 2A output.

Am I going the right direction here.

XT

the 19v,2.1a is ac adapter spec.
it is for charging the battery inside and also powering netbook.

i dont know whether haier has any other dc pin input.

even if it does not have one check the battery voltage from manual.
based on that the car battery adapter can be selected.

you will get ic for that current .

you are in right direction.

srizbf
19thmay2010

XT.5155

Naturally when it is mentioned that the Note book requires 19 volts 2.1 amps to work satisfactorily, you cannot power it with 12 volts and expect it to work. You need to boost the 12 volts to 19 volts with the required current and then connect the same to the notebook. Below given is the link for such a project with complete details with PCB layouts. Cheers
https://www.4shared.com/file/HFxJztgY/Laptop_power_converter.html

XT.5155

For a 12v battery you would need a step up switching convertor capable of suppling the required current. An easy way would be to buy a 12v to mains convertor and plug your existing laptop supply into that. Rather more wastful of energy though.

XT.5155

GrandAlf said:
For a 12v battery you would need a step up switching convertor capable of suppling the required current. An easy way would be to buy a 12v to mains convertor and plug your existing laptop supply into that. Rather more wastful of energy though.

I remember the emergency lamp, it has converter to keep the battery fully charged.

I wonder if we can reverse and get AC out of the converter to power the netbook adapter, when power outage happen.

its kinda funny though

XT

Added after 6 minutes:

pranam77 said:
Naturally when it is mentioned that the Note book requires 19 volts 2.1 amps to work satisfactorily, you cannot power it with 12 volts and expect it to work. You need to boost the 12 volts to 19 volts with the required current and then connect the same to the notebook. Below given is the link for such a project with complete details with PCB layouts. Cheers
https://www.4shared.com/file/HFxJztgY/Laptop_power_converter.html

WOW, thank you very much for the project thing. its very interesting. It's been long long time ago since the last time I bought electronics magazine, brings back good memory.

again thank you very much
XT

well to solve this once and for all you can buy a car to laptop mains device it costs about $50. But you must take notice that this operation will drain the car battery so every now and then you must recharge the battery!.
I hoe that I have gave you good advice.

MNFsoft

No, you cannot reverse power supplies, they simply do not work like that, you will probably do a lot of damage if you try. There are lots of invertors for sale that will give you mains voltage from a cigar lighter socket, you only need one rated around 100W, so should not be too expensive, then you could just plug your laptop PSU into this. I may be that you can buy a car adaptor for your laptop that effectivley does the same thing, but rather more efficiently. You are probably better off not trying to build one, if you are not certain what you are doing. Good luck

Hi there.
I'd use a lm2588 from National to do this. You may even be able to get free
samples!!
I've built something similar and it worked great. Check out fig2 of the datasheet to get the basic schematic. Pretty simple.Just watch the wiring of the feedback , and follow normal SMPS design guidelines.
Cheers
Rob

dear XT.5155,

you need not build the 12vdc to 19vdc using any smps ic.
you can build one with 555 , the good old workhorse, for powering the notebook.

just vist this page for the so simple circuit:

https://www.xs4all.nl/~jwasys/old/index.html?10

the author made this for powering laptop from 12v car battery.

cannot see anything else than this simple and very very low cost dc adapter.

srizbf
21stmay2010

I still think the LM2588 is a better way to go. You can probably get a free sample.
It's a simpler circuit(Much less components) , more efficient , and has much better regulation. Trying to save a few cents on components when powering an expensive
notebook is crazy.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back