Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modify 1 coil relay driver bridge to drive a 2 coil relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zedman

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I have this bridge working with a 1 coil bistable relay, but for monetary reasons I have to use 2 coil relays involving minimal modifications on the current PCBs.

This bridge normaly puts 12V on both of relay's contacts and when Relay_1 or Relay_2 input gets high than the corresponding coil side gets pulled down to GND.

I tought I could use this feature of the bridge to pull down the sides of a 2 coil relay to GND while the common of the 2 coil is tied to 12V.
It works fine, but when no input provided I can measure around 3V on both of the coils. (between point A or B and 12V)

Why is this?

Re: Modify 1 coil relay driver bridge to drive a 2 coil rela

It's a rather wierd "bridge": on the drawing both PNPs (Q2 and Q6) are connected upside-down, so the polarities are reversed ..

IanP
:|

Apart from needing to correct the schematic, you didn't mention an important point: Do you want to keep the control waveforms
for the single-coil relay? The present circuit is a basic double push-pull driver. A two-coil driver circuit is much easier, just two transistors
with free-wheeling diodes, but it needs different control waveforms.

If you want to keep the present circuit and control waveforms, try to connect both coils in parallel, each with a series diode,
but different polarity.

P.S.: The control waveforms can be the same, I think. You can simply connect each coil between 12 V and the driver output, coil polarity as indicated.

Zedman

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Yes Q2 and Q6 is upside down, sorry.

Yes I want to use the same control signals and the same circuit if it's possible since there are a couple of PCBs already assembled.

The 2 coil relay has only 3 pins because + side of the coils are tied together so no way to connect them reverse parallel with serail diodes.

Connect the centre-tap to +Vcc, then each side of your "bridge" will drive one section of the coil ..
Dual-coil relays are latching relays, so all you need to control such a relay is to send a set or a re-set pulse to the relevant section of the coil ..

Have a look at the attached appnote - it explains how to control dual-coil relays ..

IanP
:|

Zedman

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back