Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help colpitts oscillator!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeller

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have designed a colpitts oscillator and i want to know wether it works.How do I measure its frequency using a digital multimeter.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who will be able to help me!

Unless your digital multimeter has a frequency range (most don't) it's impossible.

To measure frequency you really need one of these:

1. a calibrated radio receiver covering the frequency of the oscillator
2. a frequency counter
3. a spectrum analyzer
4. a good quality oscilloscope
5. a GDO.

Brian.

Thanks Brian, my multimeter has a frequency range, but at what point on the circuit do i need to attach multimeter probes?

Hallo Zeller,
to the output of them pls :)...
K.

Between ground and the oscillator output but be aware that the probes, wiring and meter will probably pull the frequency to some extent. When you connect them, they will appear to the oscillator to be inductors and capacitors connected across the output and the frequency could shift significantly, it could even stop oscillating altogether.

Real RF probes are very low capacitance and high impedance, often they have amplifiers inside the probes to isolate the measuring equipment from the point they are connected to.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back