Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Who is your idole in Analog Design?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Thomas H .Lee and Razavi.

I will say Razavi may be the 11th (atmost) in analog design.
He may be the best textbook writer and best instructor but definitely no best designer at all means.

His book is good---only for students at college--you underderstand a lot from his book---but you still can not design a circuit after finishing his book. Or you can design one circuit, at the review, some body will ask how have been out off school.

There too most porpular book on RF: one is Tom Lee one is by Razavi. Tom make things simple, but razavi makes thing complex...But after reading Tom's book, i like his better. But it mat be better begin from Razavi's....

Industry influence? look which circuit by Razavi can be directly used in industry....you tell me one?
You can look at Huisjing's Opamp, yes, you can copy them and use in the product, and amazingly, it works!

RFIC? look circuits by Steyaert group...

A/D converter...look at Gray's....

PLL? look at Stanford Horowiz group's design....

OK you want to talk theory? Noise? Look at Tom's group....

Razavi, a good instructor...that is it

TP Liu, he is the strongest man in RF&analog I've ever met ^_^ 8O

On top of my list:
Widlar (reference)
Gilbert (translinear)
Adams (log domain signaling)
Tom Lee (fractional cap, oscillator phase noise)
Poschenrieder (SC)

We lack originality in analog IC design for the past two decades.
Does it imply analog is a mature topic?

Razavi at best is good teacher and he is not creative enough.

Abidi & Tomas Lee
Because I'm Radio-frequency IC engineer.
:p

analog ic was once a topic that people didn't talk about or write textbooks about -- like picasso or matisse -- it was art - something few people could do outside of berkeley.

now analog ic has matured along with every other industry -- be it plastic, steel industry, textiles, railways, telephones, automobile, computers -- all of them -- microelectronics has matured.

one person you didn't mention was asad abidi -- who says in a recent IEEE paper that analog is dead, since the dynamic range is shrinking with shrinking voltage we are just assembling transistors to make systems, the circuit innovation is just done, now we are just making algorithms, and not designing new topologies or new circuit methodologies.

all that is left is mathematics, complexity, signal processing and extracting as much as you can out of a technology that is dead and dying with no new process or technology on the horizon.

microelectronics is saturated.

borodenkov said:
Do you know the names of analog designers working currently in National Semiconductors, Maxim, TI etc???
sometimes they keep the names in low profiles. I did one internship as student and the company keeps secret names of their engineers. If you need to talk to someone they send you to some manager guy which surely knows what the company is doing but if advanced questions asked he says that he will get back with another call for you for the question. He asks engineers. weird?

sometimes they keep the names in low profiles. I did one internship as student and the company keeps secret names of their engineers. If you need to talk to someone they send you to some manager guy which surely knows what the company is doing but if advanced questions asked he says that he will get back with another call for you for the question. He asks engineers. weird?

It seems like analog designer are working with 'Secret Agent'! :D
To hard to know them?

Are they double agent?
Working more than one company?
Hehe...not the double agent from SD-6 [from 'ALIAS'(drama story)] :lol:

8) Is analog design still considered as "black magic"
i have seen many engineers scared when you say "Analog" they felt more comfortable working with "1" and "0"

I think over the 50 years there have been many experts in analog design.
because "Analog" is a very wide term it is difficult to say who is the best.

In power supply design i think it is "Slobodan Cuk"

" Balu Balakrishnan" CEO of power integrations has many innovative patents in High voltage CMOS analog designs.

The list will become endless as there may be Thousands of engineers from the lot of Millions of Engineers all over the world.

1. Sidney Soclof.
2. Paul Horowitz, Winfield Hill.
3. Alan B. Grebene.

Sounds strange to me that Asad Abidi said analog was dead. At the ISSCC this year in San Francisco he (and other penalists) defended the idea that actually analog was not dead - it is changing indeed, becoming more difficult with the new technologies, but not dead in any case.

Analog design cannot dead!

They are becoming more difficult and more challenging!
That is why I'm liking analog the most...
Always making-up you mind to solve problem...

:lol:

Now philip Allen

allen

CMOS analog circuit design

I like P.R.Gray and G.C. Temes.

Presently I feel that reading the Analog and Digital topics together (like inverter, but seen as single stage amplifier) makes it very interesting. Razavi , Allen, Gray et al, are good authors. but i am yet to come across a book which combines both analog and digital. if i am wrong, please let me know the books name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back