Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for Relay that can be used to Turn ON/OFF appliances

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaibhavlade

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Guys,

In my project, I need to control Home appliance (like turn ON/OFF them) over wireless network. I am using a micro controller based small hardware board that receives the commands over wireless. The board has digital I/O pins. I am thinking of using a relay that will be connected to these pins.
On receiving the ON command, microcontroller will set voltage high on that digital OUT pin, so that relay will be CLOSED and Appliance will be connected to AV power/ Wall Plug. On the other hand, when OFF command is received, relay will be OPEN.

The analog out voltage on digital pin is 3.3 V TTL. I need to use an amplifier to boost voltage to 12 V DC required for the Relay.
Please suggest me any good relays

Re: Looking for Relay that can be used to Turn ON/OFF applia

Solid State Relay is almost always the best option, but if you want to hear when a relay "clicks" then go for general purpose relay ..
Both types and how to connect them to digital signals are described in this appnote:
https://www.kronosrobotics.com/Anotes/Relays.pdf

IanP
:D

Thanks for the link..It looks like I need to use General Purpose relay that can handle large loads like home appliances....Also, do I need to have any protection circuit to avoid any damage that might occur to the Relay contact when it is closed?..Voltage overshoots might damage the contacts when relay is in CLOSE state..

Also, I need to use Transistor to which digital I/O from Micro-controller will be connected at it's base..An Amplifier might also be needed it relay coil needs more voltage to be energized...

Can you suggest me Digikey Part #...Does the selection of Relay depends upon type of Appliance under consideration..(if different relays required for Toaster and Refrigerator?)

we are using this relay and it's reliable. tested on many kinds of appliance.

just check the rating of the relay if it can accommodate the power of appliance you will use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back