Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to reduce mismatch of latch comparator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cluny

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I've been designing a class-ab latch comparator. This comparator hast to compare a minimal differential input signals of 1mV with the speed of at least 100 MHz. The common problems occurring with latch comparators like offset-voltage, kickback-noise and so on... are not a problem.

Unfortunately after doing a mismatch Monte-Carlo-Sim only 10% work correctly. It seems that the latch is very sensitive. So I increased the transistor-length of the most critical tranisistor-pair in my circuit to reduce the relative error of mismatch. But otherwise increasing the length leads to a time-problem. This means the simulation fails now due to the high frequency. Ok, I tried to reduce the load-capacitance to become more comfortable with the time... but I have still a low yield.

I hope that you could see my problem in reaching a high yield, which is absolutely necessary for me. It's quite frustrating.

Someone an idea that helps?

Thanks

Parallel processing by doubling the hardware (2*50MHz)?

I've found a good solution for my problem: I couldn't expect that I can totally decrease the mismatch-effect. But that's not necessary. The mismatch by the layout or whatever leads to an Input-Offset which I'm cancelling now by an additional external circuit. The decision-threshold is just shifted.

It's clear now, that every iteration of a monte-carlo-sim means just an individual offset for each comparator. So I've to ensure to compensate the offset and then everything is fine. :D

sorry for the confusion.

Sure: If you can cancel the individual offset, that's the best solution!

Cluny said:
I've found a good solution for my problem: I couldn't expect that I can totally decrease the mismatch-effect. But that's not necessary. The mismatch by the layout or whatever leads to an Input-Offset which I'm cancelling now by an additional external circuit. The decision-threshold is just shifted.

What is causing the mismatch - capacitance? resistance? or something else?

There are software tools that enable a very precise parasitic extraction, analysis, and eventually extermination (or at least minimization) of a systematic mismatch caused by differences in layouts. Thus, the need for trimming or for offset cancellation circuitry may be eliminated.

Max
-----------

Since I have a lot of comparators working together on one chip, this method seems to be very comfortable. Furthermore it's rather a cancellation algorithm than an additional circuitry.

You could also put a gain stage before it to reduce kickback noise etc.

I have seen some folks put capacitive trim on their inputs to reduce offset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back