Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cyclone FPGA embedded configuration...

Status
Not open for further replies.

davorin

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Asking some oppinions here what is the most convenient way to implement FPGA configuration on an embedded platform...

- Do you use EPCS devices at all?
- Only configure FPGA through CPU and software?
- Replace EPCS1 with software or do you program via JTAG?

From the altera app note the embedded programming for an EPCS1 takes around 15 seconds with Coldfire processor...

Have to decide now on my final design and don´t want to have any surprises in the future (o;

Hello,

Normally you have a flash device in your embedded system (for example to store a uC program) and some glue logic in a CPLD. So you can use the flash and the CPLD to config the FPGA via passive parallel or serial.

Bye,
cube007

I know this flash->cpld->fpga thingie...but doesn't keep component count low...and also...CPU/flash is on a DIMM module and not on motherboard where FPGA is located...

if you dont have microcontroller on your board you should go for flash->cpld method.Its better if microcontroller is on the board to use it for configuring the FPGA( you can save Cpld)

Ehhm...I just explained above what I have (o;
CPLD is NO option (o;

Think I just go with the altera app note for embedded epcs programming...

Status
Not open for further replies.