Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

220VAC output varying from 0~220VAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmanicdao

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Guys,

I need a circuit same as Lamp Dimmer... I need to control the RMS of 220VAC to have the voltages range around 0~220Vac using potentiometer as my controller..
I had some idea using SCR or TRIAC but not sure if it would hold around 220VAC.

Please paste a link or a circuit..

I wouldn't worry about the top-end of the range but about the bottom ..
After all, firing pulse is applied to the gate of the triac and consequently the triac conducts only when the voltage riches certain threshold (the TRIAC is triggered when the Live is about 30V) .. see attached example .. or:
https://kitsrus.com/pdf/k19.pdf

There is another type of dimmer that is most frequently used in commercial applications, for example, lighting of the theater - this method uses an autotransformer instead of a triac ..
You can't have better voltage/power regulation than that and the full range is covered: from 0Vac to 230Vac (or whatever) ..

IanP
:|

jpmanicdao

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I need a circuit same as Lamp Dimmer...
Telling the exact application would actually ease making precise suggestions. A good standard dinmmer circuit as given by IanP
may or may not work, depending on the load type. An autotransformer (or variable isolation transformer) will in contrast
always work and would be my preferred method in the lab. But it's not controlled by a potentiometer. The said theater lighting
controllers (I have seen them last in about 50 years old installations) have servo motors for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back