Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference between series-series amplifier and series-shunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

calculus_cuthbert

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Could someone please explain how to design a series-series feedback and a series-shunt feedback. I feel they are kind of the same.

Because, when we use an opamp and connect it in a noninverting configuration it is a series-shunt amplifier but it can still source and sink current into a resistive load which means we can take an output current out of it so we can use it as a series-series amplifier.

Is this thinking correct?

Re: Difference between series-series amplifier and series-sh

I don't like this terminology at all, because - for my opinion - it is confusing.
And according to my experience, it is used in different ways.
Some authors use these words based on the sequence input-output and some vice versa.
Based on the input-output sequence, the phrase series-shunt feedback means, that the feedback signal is a voltage which is added in series with the input voltage, whereby the feedback signal is derived in parallel to the load impedance (which means: as a voltage!).
Thus, all opamps normally are used with xyz-shunt feedback (non-inverting: series-shunt, inverting: shunt-shunt). On the other hand, OTA's are used with xyz-series feedback, since the feedback signal is derived from the output current which flows through elements (load and feedback path) which are connected in series.

Status
Not open for further replies.