Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How does a E-field probe look like and how it works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

htg

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What does it look like? Is it a straight wire extending from the central conductor in a coax?
What does it do to the field if you draw power from it?

Re: E-field probe

These guys make some of the best probes in the world.

**broken link removed**

They should have all the documents you need to answer your question.

If not, let me know.

Red

htg

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

They give some information, but e.g. they do not say what the equivalent sensor area is - is it the surface area of the balls that sense the field or of the plate between the balls?
And they do not say what happens to the field as one draws power from the sensor.

It is the area or the half spheres.

The plate in the middle is a ground plane.

It is a di-pole.

You don't draw power from the field. You can absorb it or redirect it.

Red

htg

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

From the formula they give it is clear that this E-field probe delivers current proportional to the displacement current.
If it works, it means that you can draw power from the field.

It is a dipole. A simple antena. Think of it just like a car radio antena but it is a lot smaller. It also is just a D-dot probe so the field needs to be changing to see an output.

If you are looking to transmit power, then look at Tesla's old papers and look at the new induction charging systems (like for the Wii).

What are you really looking to do?

Red

According to formulas that I have seen, there is not much dependence of current received from a dipole antenna upon the diameter of the wire from which it is made.
In the case of this E-field probe the current is proportional to the area of the hemispheres. So something does not agree here.

I am looking at various ways of drawing power from the EM field, to find the best for my purpose, which I cannot disclose now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back