Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] PIC32 as a RS485 repeater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sink0

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi i am developing a project where i am going to need to interface a PC/104 with many sensors and actuators. I was looking on the serial bus options availables and i think using RS-485 with an proprietary protocol would be the best choice. One problem is that the RS-485 BUS need to be point-to-point, i can't build a star network. This is a problem becouse all my sensors are going to be on a star configuration where the max distance between any sensor and PC/104 will be 1.5m. My plan to solve this problem would be using a PIC32 at 80MHz as RS-485 repeaters. i would connect RS-485 or USB coming from PC/104 with one PIC32 and another other 2 PIC32 with this first one with SPI. I would have 5 new UART available ports. I would run all the ports at 20Mb/s. Is it possible to run both UARTS at 20Mb/s baud rate and SPI all toguether using DMA? How fast can i get? How big would be may delay? If not, deoes any one have any sugestion? Let me know if i wasnt enough clear. Just one more comment. I'm not using comercials RS-485 repeater becouse i need a realy compact design.

Is there any other way to build and RS-485 HUB? Would work if i build this way?

|| - RS-485 tranceiver
() - Optoisolators

RS-485 BUS -------------- TTL/CMOS level --------------RS-485 BUS
-------------------->||--------------->()---------------->||-------------------->

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.