Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hardware Development Life Cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameo_2007

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What are the stages involved in a HDLC?

This is a most commonly asked question in interviews. No matter where it is asked, It is still an important aspect to be understood.
Need some inputs on this to standardise a suitable answer.
Would like to hear it from some experienced guys.

Regards

1) Define the system
2) Define the HW requirements
3) Do a prototype
4) Do integration and testing on with the prototype
5) create a detailed design package from the prototype
6) Fabricate the Final product
7) System integration and testing

Another idea is that after you have tested the prototype, you document it's specs, then throw it away.
Then create a final design based on those specs.

That is ideal but in reality, your protype will probably be the final product.

Note: it can take minutes to create the final concept, it can take weeks to get the parts in to put it together.

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE the amount of time it takes for the purchasing department to do their job!

Red

Reactions: Solsal

cameo_2007

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Solsal

You can also use pspice to simulate your circuit before prototyping. I know some HW engineer use LTSpice since it is free. After when you know the hardware requirements, you would need to select the right parts. Power consumption, size and cost usually the main factors when selecting components. Also if choosing micros/FPGA, you would need to factor in the cost of software. I worked for a defence company before and when selecting components, you will need to check if the components will not be obsolete within 10 years and also that they have alternative parts to reduce the risk of lead-time. Probably this is a bit too detail but if a graduate came up with this and show some good technical skills, I would be incline to hire them or will be top of my list.

Added after 24 minutes:

srhoar said:
1) Define the system
3) Do a prototype

Another idea is that after you have tested the prototype, you document it's specs, then throw it away.

Note: it can take minutes to create the final concept, it can take weeks to get the parts in to put it together.

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE the amount of time it takes for the purchasing department to do their job!

Red

It took nearly a month to get some ultra fast diodes and inductors in one of my projects. Our purchasing department is useless. They don't use any initiative and also seem to be unaware of the projects priority. This end up costing us near a mil last month because of components being bought at a late stage when it was submitted two or three months ago so delaying the product being manufacture.

cameo_2007

srhoar said:
1) Define the system
3) Do a prototype

Red

Getting type test report & pattern approval report from recognised lab as per standard is one of the milestone

cameo_2007

Getting type test report & pattern approval report from recognised lab as per standard is one of the milestone

can anyone suggest books about hardware development life cycle

Reactions: mkdssg

mkdssg

You can download free version of PSpice Lite from **broken link removed**

These are the steps required for the development of hardware life cycle
1 Preparation of H/W requirement specification
2 review and correction of hw requirement specification
3 Preparation of H/W design document
4 review and correction of hw design document
5 Preparation of Prototype
6 testing prototype
7 circuit design in orcad capture
8 circuit simulation in orcad pspice
9 PCB design in orcad layout
10 review and correction of PCB layout
11 release PCB for manufacturing
12 receipt of bare board and test, assembly of bare board with functional testing
13 bug report and bug fix
14 retest
15 final documentation
16 Project sign off

I think this will helpful for your interview

Can anyone brief me how to become HW designer. Currently I'm working as a PCB layout designer. What are the things i need to study? What are the necessitates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back