Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will LED be destroyed when connected to charged cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

eem2am

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have just designed a buckboost , white LED driver which drives either:-

1. A single LED at 650mA average.
2. A 6 series LED strip at 330mA average.

-There is only one Lamp connector, and either load could be connected, at any time.

V(in) is 34V, but sometimes 2.4V when its powered by 2 cell battery
C(out) is 19.4uF (two 4u7 ceramics and one 10uF electrolytic)
Switching frequency = 100KHz

When a lamp is disconnected , the output voltage goes up to 26V, and is held at 26V by an R-Zener clamping network.

The problem is:-
…supposing the customer switches the LED Driver ON when its got no LED lamp attached….
…then suppose the customer attaches the single LED lamp…….
…the output voltage is at 26Volts, and I am wondering what will be the effect of connecting a single LED to the output capacitors which are charged to 26V?

Will this damage the LED? , and how do I find out if it would?

here is the LED datasheet
**broken link removed**

(warm white one)

schematic:
https://i44.tinypic.com/2dilu8y.jpg

Maybe it will be damaged. Maybe not the first time it occurs, but it sure is no good for any led's life span.

How about connect a zener in parallell with the leds, so that any over voltage will be discharget through the zener?

Or a simple voltage divider (high resistance) that feed some voltage into a darlington transistor so that will conduct when overvoltage.

u can use a serial resistor with them abouat 100~330 ohm

Status
Not open for further replies.