Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Situation DXF and Netlist - create a board layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

mujahid_sgd

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a situation in which I have the DXF File and the schematics which I have copied from paper into Capture and Created a netlist.

What I want to do is to create a board layout with components exactly in the same place as the original PCB and reroute the board as per the requirement.

What I dont know is how to link the DXF and netlist with each other
when I create a board file I cannot find any option where I can import the Board Outline and component silk screens so that I can place the component exactly at the same location.

By the way I am using Orcad 9.1 for the purpose

Any Ideas would be welcome.
Thanks

DXF and Netlist

Not sure how complex this board is. Hopefully not very for this situation... You will not be able to associate a netlist to the DXF file. It is most likely just lines, polygons, and arcs with no part information included. I take it you are using Orcad layout 9.1 for this endeavor? I have very little experience with this tool so I will not be of much help there. But I am certain you can import dxf files and create board outline from that data. You might want to import the dxf then delete all data except board outline, then create board outline. Repeat as necessary.
There are some tools out there that would make this task easier.
1. Autocad
2. Cam350 (with this tool you could import dxf, create board outline, create layer stackup, create padstacks, create parts, import netlist from Orcad, and even export layout to Orcad)

The above process is time comsuming and tedious it would most likely be better for you to take dxf into your layout tool and place parts accordingly using dxf as a visual template.

Eda

Re: DXF and Netlist - please help

Thanks a lot for taking time out and posting the reply. I however found a way of doing it.

Here is what I did

1. Created a schematic in Layout
2. Generated netlist

3. Imported DXF in layout
4. Placed all the components on top of the DXF at the exact location
5. Deleted the obstacles and symbols from the underlying DXF.
6. Saved the file as a board template.

7. Started a new board in Orcad layout using the saved template.
8. Linked the Netlist file with the new board
9. All the components were linked with each other as per the netlist.

10. Presently in the process of routing the board.

Hope it helps others in similar situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back