Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solid state relay disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddybaby

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need some help here.. I have a voltage sensing circuit that is supposed to operate an AC contactor (solenoid type) when the voltage reaches a certain threshold. This portion works fine but the AC waveform to the coil looks terrible. Very distorted at the zero crossing and top looks chopped. The contactor is also chattering.

I selected a zero crossing type SSR to control this. In the data sheet it says it's for AC loads. I also read that the zero crossing type should not be used for inductive loads. I suppose AC load resistive now but is there any way to fix this without changing the SSR ?

To complicate matters the entire system is running through an isolation xfmr that may not be happy either. The original design used a different xfmr and SSR and worked great but needed different switching arrangement.

SSR data sheet
**broken link removed**

Added after 1 hours 11 minutes:

Well my mistake for not doing more research and taking the application engineers word for it..

Will be changing to an SCR type (not triac) and random NOT zero crossing turn on.

Not sure if this will completely solve my prob but it's a start

Status
Not open for further replies.