Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] 9W CFL lamp short life - help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy G

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
9W CFL lamp short life

Hi! the 9W CFL lamp in my emergency light gives very short life , hardly goes 15 days---the emergency light is NOHA brand made in China
Can anyone please give some ideas as to why the lamp burns out so soon?
Thanks!

9W CFL lamp short life

Sounds like overload, caused by faulty design.

9W CFL lamp short life

Yes..i do agree with Fvm. Basically chineese made products are designed without any R&d's and thus lacks in performance's. Usually blackening of CFls, are due to im-propper frequency of operation which is usually due to sub standard design and windings of the ferrite core transformer.

Re: 9W CFL lamp short life

Thanks to FvM and Pranam77 for your valuable comments .
these cheap products from China are flooding the market and we the consumers are losing.
I was hoping somebody could tell me the correct winding data for the ferrite core transformer so that i could wind one myself.

I assume, it should be possible to improve the product, but this actually involves a redesign. It won't be succesful without performing
some work, that the original designer apparently missed. You would need basic electronics instrumentation for this purpose.

The special thing with chinese electronic products is, you get high tech products from some manufacturers (possibly international
joint ventures) and trash quality from others. I recently disassembled a notebook SMPS, that ended it's life after a few weeks of operation
with a small arc discharge at the power transistor pins. I found unbelievable small isolation distances, also at places that would be
expected to achieve electrical safety. Consequently, the manufacturer "forgot" to mark the product with the SELV symbol (two concentric
squares). I decided not to claim a warranty replacement...

9W CFL lamp short life

I buy Sylvania CFL's. The color temperature of 3k is pure white and even though they are also made in China they last for years. A couple failed and after phoning Sylvania they sent coupons for replacements.

The free CFL's from my electrical utility company were recalled and replaced because the Chinese manufacturer stole another company's certification label and they dripped burning plastic.

Audioguru thank you very much indeed for your observation

9W CFL lamp short life

As a well known fact, that India is the third corrupt country in the world, people here just need good for Cheap. No matter it may have a life of 1 orr two months or even a week. Thus in chineese products are manufactured in three categories for US, European, and Asian markets where asian category will be the chepest and inferiorest of all when compared to othet two categories. We get a chineese 9 watt CFL lamp with built in ballast for just 29/- Rupees. Appx 0.6 $

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back