Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed with IR2110 driver & full bridge buck-boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayTooLate

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This is my first time posting here. This problem has been killing me for a week now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm building a small-scale version of a full bridge, buck-boost that will be later implemented for high voltages. I am using two IR2110 to drive the gates of the MOSFETs. Before implementing the full bridge, I tested each driver in a half bridge configuration successfully (with correct Vgs signals). The problem comes when I link the bridges together with the inductor. The converter is load dependent, but in the full bridge setup no current is being drawn from the power supply. I know these drivers are usually used in a H-bridge setup where Vsupply goes to the drain of both high side MOSFETs and this might have something to do with it. I'm thinking I need to add additional capacitors or resistors to the 'left side' of the bridge.

Specs: fs = 100kHz, DC = 60% (for top-left/bottom-right MOSFET), Coss (MOSFET) = 1.28nF

*Mistakes on the circuit diagram: Vcc = 13.5V; Vcc should be connected to anode of Schottky diode

UPDATE: Fixed. The main problem was the pull-up resistor on the open-collector output of the LM339 (quad comparator). When all four outputs were attached, I was drawing near 3 times the max current of the comparator. I remedied this by changing the 4 resistors from 330 to 2.2kOhms.

I'm still trying to solve issues with shoot-thru by adding adequate deadtime using the applications notes provided by IR: **broken link removed**

On pg. 19, they state that the propagation delays are already closely matched, but adding a resistor with a diode on the gate can add additional deadtime.

Re: Help needed with IR2110 driver & full bridge buck-bo

please correct your boostrap diode.

Added after 6 minutes:

Vcc = 13.5V; Vcc should be connected to anode of Schottky diode

Status
Not open for further replies.