Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Want to start with PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoeb.eee

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I did some entry level assembly programming in ATmega8 and simulate in AVR Studio. Now I want to start with PIC. Please suggest me a chip that I can start considering the following -
1. Easy to switch from AVR to PIC
2. Having EEPROM, counter, UART etc
3. Easy to program

I would suggest for the 16F series you try the 16F628A or if you want to try the 18F series, try the 18F1320. They are similar devices and have the features you want. Both are available in DIP packages and are inexpensive.

Brian.

Hi,

The 16F chips are well documented on the web but I would go for the 18F chips, they use an almost identical instruction set but the memory organisation makes coding so much easier.
If you want a lot of i/o pins then the 18F 4520 or 4620 are good and cheap, if available in your area.

3. Easy to program - if you mean code the instructions, then as above
- if you mean burn the code into the chip, then the Pickit2 or a diy clone are the best options - both featured many times in this forum

Please suggest some commonly used 16F series chips (small and medium size) so that I can buy and check

16F628A: Easy to use with 4 MHz internal oscillator and doesn't need MCLR connection. Features CCP (mostly used to generate PWM), USART (mostly used to establish RS232 communication with a computer) modules and analog comparators. It has 18 pin and 2048 words of program memory.

16F876A: It has almost anything needed. Additional to 16F628A, it has A/D converters and MSSP module which allows you to implement I2C or SPI communication protocols which are generally used to communicate other ICs such as real time clocks, external EEPROMs etc. But it doesn't have internal oscillator and requires MCLR connection. It has 28 pin and 8192 words of program memory. If you can find 16F886, use it as it is the improved version of 16F876A.

12F675: Very basic and easy to use. It has 4 MHz internal oscillator and doesn't need MCLR connection. It features analog comparators and A/D converters, but no communication modules. It has 8 pins and 1024 words of program memory. It's probably the cheapest one among these 3 models.

Take a look here. The aim of Dwengo is to help people to get started with microcontrollers.

shoeb.eee said:
I did some entry level assembly programming in ATmega8 and simulate in AVR Studio. Now I want to start with PIC. Please suggest me a chip that I can start considering the following -
1. Easy to switch from AVR to PIC
2. Having EEPROM, counter, UART etc
3. Easy to program
You may start with pic18f sireis the are easy to use .
You can see some example of evaluation board
for example www.easy-controller.com or mc-store.com &ect...
Thnk

Status
Not open for further replies.