Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A career advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdallahfayed

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am an 2009 EE graduate from Alexandria University , I am so interested in the field of Communication theory , and i hope that my Master thesis will enable me to publish some paper at IEEE Information theory society journal ( a tough dream i know :D )

Now , I have some hard-earned opportunities to work in the position of a Transmission engineer for sub-contractors for Alcatel , Huwawui ..... , and the starting salary is about 2,500 L.E , at first i was keen on working on the field of communication system implementation at companies like SysDsoft where i had taken their exam and passed it successfully but in the software section of the interview i didn't do well and i realized that i am not qualified enough right now to work in this career as a DSP engineer , now i am thinking about going to ITI embedded systems program by next september , but i am asking if i am ruining my career by such a move ?? , if i am going to take a risk that is not calculated that may delay the launch of my career ?? , i don't think that the field of embedded systems for communications systems has that much of oppurtunities in Egypt ?? , please tell me what u think .

Re: A career advice ?????

Hi Abdallahfayed,

Take a good look around you, everything has gone embedded. In this fast moving world, you must keep upgrading your knowledge. You do not want to wake up some day and find yourself obsolete.

You dont have anything to lose. Take the leap and you will be glad you did.

Cheers.

':D'

Hi,
I am Mohammed Soliman, and I am like you. 2009 EE Graduate but from Menoufia University.
may be I am in the same situation as yours. the current work opportunities don't seem to satisfy me at all abd the alternative choice may be to wait till the next ITI year and apply in Embedded Systems or VLSI Department.
There are two things I wanna share with you. First, if you are much interested in communication theory and application, then why do not you think of VLSI Design field instead of Embedded. I do not think there are other places in Embedded Systems working in communication theory but sysdsoft. other places like Valeo and IBM work for automotive mainly. but on the other hand, companies working in the VLSI Design work mainly in communication theory. and also, as far as I know, sysdsoft has some branch for Digital Design. Another Advantage is that VLSI Design does not require that much skills in Programming as Embedded Systems. In Embedded, you are mainly writing complex programs in C, but in VLSI you do use VHDL/Verilog in addition to scripting languages which is less related to s/w than Embedded.

that was for first. Secondly, I do think that both you and me should not wait till the next September for the ITI. If you are lacking too much skills, then consider joining the ITI. If you just miss some skills but not all, as far as I feel from what you wrote, you should consider only taking some courses in topics you miss or depend on your self study for that, while keeping your current job and waiting for the next opportunity to join the field of design.
but after all, it is your choice,
two final things are in order, first, consider that you will have to move to Cairo in either case, cause the ITI VLSI and Embedded Departments are only in Cairo and also all companies in VLSI and Embedded are in Cairo except for Sysdsoft which has a branch in Alex and some other company in Kafr Abdou (and for that info I am not sure at all),
second, we have created a forum which is ( vlsiegypt (.) co (.)cc ).
come and join and ask your questions. there are dozens of Egyptians there specializing in Embedded and VLSI and they will give you better opinions than mine.

Salam.

Thanks very much for your detailed replies................. :D , i will join this group and see how things will be going inshaa' Allah

Re: A career advice needed!?????

All of us are blessed with one form of skill or another by Nature or God. We do utilize these skills to survive as well as succeed in whatever we do. Some of us are lucky enough to identify our skills whereas some of us still regularly slog out in offices at regular jobs without identifying any of our skills. **broken link removed** are necessary to survive

Hi all :)

I am an engineer working in the field of Mobile Communication and I was thinking about changing my career to embedded systems ( S/W part of it ) , but I am very hesitating to do that , can U plz help me to understand the nature of work in the field of embedded systems and whether its future is good or not ?

And really thx in advance :)

Status
Not open for further replies.