Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

stepper motor rating? what kind of driver should i use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jit_singh_tara

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
stepper motor rating?

hello frnds i need to drive 2 stepper motors.

Rating 1.8 deg ,4.7a per phase.4 wires.

Please suggest what kind of driver should i use and also tell me what kind of power supply (volts and amperes) would b needed.

I saw this motor running in a circuit and was operating on 50 volts .

Any help is welcomed.....
Jitender.

Re: stepper motor rating?

4 wires means that you need a bipolar driver. If you are planning to make your own driver, you can try using L297 with 2 x L6203. It will a basic driver, but allows you to test your motor. Depanding on your application, it can be even a satisfactory one.

High voltage is desired to maintain torque at high speeds. As the voltage increases, the current in the coils can reach the desired value faster. If you try to drive a stepper motor at high speeds with low voltage supply, as the time between steps is small, the current in the coils may not reach the peak value before the next step, so the torque is reduced. But applying high voltage causes high currents which can damage the coils. To prevent this, something called "chopper" is used. It compares the current with a reference value and turns off the power if the current is outside of the limit (which is 4.7 A for your motor), so preventing coil damage. L297 has chopper feature.

What L297 can't offer is the microstepping feature, which increases the resolution of the motor and decreases the resonance problems. The costs of microstepping are the reduced torque, and a more compicated (and probably expensive) driver.

Here is L297 + L6203 schematic that I found with a Google search:
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back