Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transimpedance Amplifier with voltage feedback amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

powersys

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Is it necessary to use the inverting input of the voltage feedback amplifier (VFA) to amplify the photocurrent signal from a photodiode? Can we use the noninverting input configuration of the VFA?

Thank you.

The only configuration I know of connects the output to the inverting input with a resistor, with the photodiode connection being the inverting input.

You need the negative feedback to create a low impedance node for the photodiode. You cannot do that at the non-inverting input.

Keith

keith1200rs said:
The only configuration I know of connects the output to the inverting input with a resistor, with the photodiode connection being the inverting input.

You need the negative feedback to create a low impedance node for the photodiode. You cannot do that at the non-inverting input.

Keith

Dear Keith,

Thanks for your help.
But could we connect the photodiode to the noninverting input but using a negative feedback?

Thanks

powersys said:
Dear Keith,
Thanks for your help.
But could we connect the photodiode to the noninverting input but using a negative feedback?
Thanks

May I try an answer instead of keith?

Of course, you can. As you said: ...but using a negative feedback.
This means: negative feedback to the non-inv. input by using an additional inverter (sign change) within this feedback loop. But I don`t know if this was your idea behind the question.
LvW

powersys said:
Dear Keith,

Thanks for your help.

Thanks

You could, but then it wouldn't be a transimpedance amplifier - it would be a voltage amplifier. Maybe if you showed what you had in mind I could explain better.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.