Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Comparison of free compilers for PIC 18F (PICC-18 and C18)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearsome

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I know this topic has been debated many times before but when people are asked which compiler they prefer, they usually answer without any motivation. I'm a hobbyist and will not spend money on a compiler. Thus I'm only interested in hearing comparisons of the FREE versions of compilers for PICs in the 18F-family. I've used Hi-Tec for 16F PICs but when I tried this compiler in the free version for 18F you get some disturbing messages. Namely, that the code will run 4 times slower than without the optimizations and that the code will occupy more ROM. The increase in code size I can handle but the slow-down means that some library routines won't work (I think at least), e.g., delay and UART. So I began looking at the academic version of C18 from Microchip. So my question is if anybode has compared the FREE versions of C18 and Hi-Tec's PICC18? Is it worth building custom routines to compensate for the non-optimized Hi-Tec code?

Re: Comparison of free compilers for PIC 18F (PICC-18 and C1

Hmm, well that wasn't really what I was looking for but I'm sure it's going to be useful for some.

thats a difficult question to answer, its like asking which car is better....

Each compiler has its own advantages, you only have to see which one works to your benefit.

When I wanted to buy a compiler for my lab, I had several options.

1. Microchip-- A comprehensive compiler, best suited for PICs, a very good support forum, but pricey compared to others in the market.

2. HI-TECH-- Pricing was OK, but at that time (this was 5 years ago) they used a IDE that looked DOS based, and that put me off ( in any case I could have used MPLAB as my IDE).

3. CCS-- Pricing was competitive, good support. I liked the #use directive especially as its very easy to setup a serial port, I2C port or a SPI port with this directive. They also had a large library of drivers that was very readable.

So my choice was the CCS compiler, I bought the PCM version for 14 bit parts, now 2 years back I bought the PCH for the 18F parts.

thanks

Hi Fearsome,
Since you are interested in free versions, I highly recommend you take a look at mikroC. The free version has no annoying messages or whatsoever, but there is only 1 limit: program word is limited to 2k (which is enough for a hobbyist).
https://www.mikroe.com

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Thanks Tahmid for the tip but I will easily go beyond 2K in my project.

Hi
I think C18 is better
It has microchip's full support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back