Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Free software for simple dipole antenna simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

pban

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I'm just learning antennas and wish to design a simple dipole antenna.

Can anyone suggest me what free software (maybe student version that does not require any license to be purchased)i can use to achieve this????

Is matlab an easier platform than other software????Please suggest.

Suggestion on what book or e-material to follow to understand clearly and the basic concept of antennas are also welcome .

Re: antenna simulation

Try EMCoS Antenna VirtualLab - http://emcos.com/index.php?id=165

See dipole example - http://emcos.com/index.php?id=176

Request free Student Version (supporting 10 times more elements than FEKO-Lite btw) - http://emcos.com/index.php?id=198

With Matlab of-course you can proceed as well - you may understand physics better when implement equations or designs yourself in Matlab - but you might be limited with quite simple structures this way. If you'll use antenna simulation software - you can simulate much more complex antennas, include networks, baluns, cables, dielectrics and so on.

P.S. Link to FEKO-Lite is here - http://www.feko.info/educational

u can use HFSS also..simple dipole tutorial are available.But to understand i would suggest u to design with MATLAB.rather not difficult lso

Dear Pban
First of all,you should get introduced to the theory and concept of antenna because when you have a good background of a topic,it is easier for you to think about problems and then simulate them.This is a general advice.
But for antenna simulation I think both hfss and matlab are good to start .I have a tutorial about dipole simulation with hfss.
I can give it to you if you want.

Have fun

Well, if you wany to start with something simple, try this software: MMANA-GAL. Its free, small, and very easy to use! Gives decent results for begineers.
I've tried it myself, and its good! MMANA-GAL - MM HamSoft

A good tool for antenna modeling that has a long history is NEC (Numerical Electromagnetics Code). The freeware app that I've used in recent past is 4nec2 (**broken link removed**). I haven't used FEKO Lite, so can't report on it's usability. If you have a decent understanding of Method of Moments, as it relates to solving EM/antenna problems, then NEC should be pretty easy to figure out. If you are handy with Excel, you have quickly build up a spreadsheet that will calculate your antenna element endpoints, then you can simply save the output to a text file with the .nec extension.

There are lots of options, so try them and see which one you like best.

Hi,

You can try **broken link removed**

---------- Post added at 03:07 ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 ----------

Hi,

You can try **broken link removed**

Hi,
I'm just learning antennas and wish to design a simple dipole antenna.

Can anyone suggest me what free software (maybe student version that does not require any license to be purchased)i can use to achieve this????

Is matlab an easier platform than other software????Please suggest.

Suggestion on what book or e-material to follow to understand clearly and the basic concept of antennas are also welcome .

MMANA-GAL is good for this, and is free. The professional version is not free.

Before suggesting a suitable book, we would have to know about your background. A newbie radio ham would want a different book from a professional. For high end books, see those from Balanis, Krauss etc.

YagiCad6 is fairly easy program to help you understand how the basics of a dipole. You can also export stuff from Yagicad to 4Nec2, which is more advanced.

Antenna Magus is very easy to use to design antennas.

There seem to be people suggesting programs like HFSS or Antenna Magus. Both of these are very expensive. Antenna Magus is about 8000 Euros, and HFSS about 10x that. HFSS is not easy to use. It is well over the top for a dipole!

Someone suggested MMANA-GAL.

https://hamsoft.ca/pages/mmana-gal.php

I would agree with that reccomendation. The amateur version is free. There are a couple of "profesional" versions too. Believe it or not, the cheapest Pro version does not allow commerical use! I'm not quite sure why it is called Pro, but for professional use we bought the more expensive pro license.

I would read about antennas and use the MMANA-GAL. Once you get to know more about the topic, you might want to look at other software.

You can design antennas in MATLAB, but for what you want, you would be hard-pressed to beat MMANA-GAL.

Dave

Antenna Magus is about 8000 Euros

Antenna Magus evaluation version is free and contains 6 antennas from the database to design. If you're at a University you can apply for a free classroom license and then you have 20 antennas included, including the dipole.

FEKO Lite will also easily simulate a dipole. You can download and install Lite without having to apply for a license.

Personally I am not impressed with Antenna Magus. It's hard to say 6 antennas for free is not useful, but the full pro version is just a waste of money.

I thinks u should use CST microwave studio.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you tell me where one can get CST Microwave Studio for free? That was one of the criteria for the original poster, which I thought was clear from the title "Free software for simple dipole antenna simulation"

Perhaps I am missing something, but the original poster asks for simple free software, but people suggest HFSS, CST Microwave Studio and Antenna Magus.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back