Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make LED work on AC source

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohitdaksh

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My question may be rather silly. But I want to ask do normal LEDs work on ac supply.. I am trying to get one working on 5V 50 HZ.. But it is not working.. Any ideas?

LED on AC source

Yea, surly works!
You need exactly so the serial resistor as fro DC supplying(&revers polarity protection): AC Line powered LEDs, www.qsl.net/yo5ofh/hobby circuits/led_circuits.htm
K.

mohitdaksh

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: LED on AC source

Thanks a lot for the replies..

Why the zener diode?? Why won't the circuit just illuminate at a lower intensity or toggle states with just the resister?

LED on AC source

The LED most be protected from high reverse voltage, that would destroy it. For a better current utilization, you may want to use a bridge rectifier.

mohitdaksh

LED on AC source

It doesn't need to be a zener - any diode will do (or another LED).

Very wasteful of power though!

Keith

mohitdaksh

Re: LED on AC source

Anther factor against using an led for ac supplies is that the eye can detect the 50 hz flicker from the diode, not if you look directly into it but at an angle momenteraly , very off putting.

mohitdaksh

LED on AC source

There are chips around to do the job properly, eg

Keith.

mohitdaksh

Status
Not open for further replies.