Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to weld copper to stainless steel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: welding

You can use EUTECSIL 1020XFC, which is elastic flux-coated silver alloy for low heat joining of ferrous and non-ferrous metals ..
You have to heat broadly along the joint line with a carburizing oxy-acetylene flame, then touch 1020XFC rod to joint until the flux is melted off and then feed it into joint, keeping the flame cone roughly one inch away, and continue melting the rod until a continuous fillet is observed ..
Allow deposits to solidify, then quench in water and wash away flux residues ..

Rgds,
IanP
:D

welding

Laser welding is possible as far as I know, spot welding should work, too.
Brazing, as suggested, is most likely the preferred standard method.

For some forms, friction stir welding can produce a weld
between dissimilar metals without a third (braze) layer.
However this works best when one piece or the other is
able to be put in a chuck and spun.

I have been working with this for some RD, I'm using a lumonics laser on a custom set up CNC guided motion system. I have been able to weld high purity copper tube of .25in diameter into a 304L sst plate. It is certainly prone to cracking without proper adjustment of power and overlap between the materials. I am very close to a full weld without cracking, about a 90 percent arc without cracking. As pictures the weld width is .040 in

I have some copper-phosphorus rods for gas welding / brazing,
they are used in refrigeration (better than solder I am told).
I picked them up at Ace Hardware. Something like this,
perhaps with an aggresive clean & flux, might be an option.

elcaminokid said:
I have been working with this for some RD, I'm using a lumonics laser on a custom set up CNC guided motion system. I have been able to weld high purity copper tube of .25in diameter into a 304L sst plate. It is certainly prone to cracking without proper adjustment of power and overlap between the materials. I am very close to a full weld without cracking, about a 90 percent arc without cracking. As pictures the weld width is .040 in

Hi,

I have been working on this process as well and I am quite surprised how far you manged to get with this process...
I have one question...have you done a cross section and check if there are any cracks inside the weld or HAZ?

I spent a lot of time trying to weld Cu to stainless steel and I can tell that it is very difficult process and paramters window is narrow so the stability of the process can be questioned probably

Depends on what your copper and SS objects are. I've had success connecting copper wires to SS rods. "Tin" the SS area to be soldered with silver solder, then you use standard tin/lead electronics solder the attach the copper wire.

Ken

Spot welding or brazin methodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back