Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to monitor a reed switch connected to a battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulrikp

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Monitoring a reed switch

I have a battery driven device that is normally off and can be turned on by either a (mechanical) reed switch or an RTC connected to a mosfet gate. The two switches work on the same battery. The system wakes up once a day and does a job. I would like to have a way of monitoring if the reed switch closes while the system is on (ie. while the RTC controlled switch is closed).

Of course, I can put a second reed switch on there and connect it to an I/O pin on the microcontroller, but I'm looking for a smoother way. I use an ATMEGA 328 microcontroller. Hope someone has a good idea.

Best regards,
Ulrik

Hali,
I think is more "intelligent" to put a small magnet sensor to your Read relay, called Hall element.
You can select some nowadays, their are "digital"(too) -> the output has low or even high if magnet on is :)_ exactly what your PIC likes.
You can check Honeywell`s Hall sensors, i.e. SS443A, at Farnell or Schuricht for € 2-3.- ...
You need an open drain(collector?) resistor & a 100nF capacitor (both,SMD?, direct at the sensor) & 3.3...5V, also only 3 wires + 3 components.
K.

Your hall sensor has several good properties for my project. However, power saving is a major issue, and a hall sensor uses too much power (eg. SS443A uses up to 7.5 mA). Thanks though :)

The traditional method is to have one extra set of contacts on the relay. This one can be connected between ground and a pull up resistor.

ulrikp

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,
you see, it was only an "i.e."., an idea_one possibility..
I remember of currents so at 1-2 mA for "actuell" Honeywell, but you can have it as regular product...
K.
ps:
We designed it in an industrial project some time ago, & I saw in past time the advertisings for lower power versions_ I think in summer 2009... possibly a Cherry product?
Otherwise, you can try it with 3.3V or less :), i.e. MLX90217L...

Added after 22 minutes:

You can measure _of course_ a coil voltage on the control switch(between GND & relay)= zero if it will be switched/activated:)_ it is a real low power houskeeping.

ulrikp

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back