Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

230input 230v output smps circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

peethol

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
220V AC to 5V ,3A DC

Hi

This is my first post to this forum. I'm struggling to design a transformerless power supply. It connects to the mains (220V AC) and I need to get 5V, 3A DC. The reason for me not inserting a transformer is that I've got very limited space to place the final design in. Yeah I know it's very high current and that's why I'm struggling.

Any ideas how to go about?

And doing voltage division with caps isn't working for me either, I can't find high voltage caps with a high farad reading. The largest I could get was 4.7uF 600V and that doesn't work when I'm pulling 3 amps.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome :)

220V AC to 5V ,3A DC

Switched mode power supply with a high frequency transformer is the only feasible way.

220V AC to 5V ,3A DC

you won't get more than some hundreds mA with a transformless power supply. that's it.
now you can take a look at smps as FvM said. they are now very compact.

Status
Not open for further replies.