Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reducing TTL to LV-TTL to conect CPLD to parallel port

Status
Not open for further replies.

P4R4V4C4

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!
I'm conecting a CMOD board from Xilinx (it has a Xilinx Coolrunner 2 CPLD) to the parallel port of my PC in order to read/write from/in it. The problem I have is that the logic levels from de port are TTL ('0'=0V and '1' or 'HZ'=5V) while my CMOD reads/writes voltages defined as LV-TTL, that is: '0'=0V and '1'=3,3V.
Power supply of the CMOD board is 3,3 from a source generator. In my ignorance, i conected directly the port pins, to the CMOD pins, and when the port pins were at HZ i observed that de source generator went from giving 3,3 volts to almost 4V! I suppose that happend because de current limit was exceeded. It's oviously not good...
I guess i have to put some kind of regulator between each pin of de parallel port and the pins of the CMOD in order to reduce the voltage supplied by the port. Or should i put some resistances?
I would kindly appreciate any suggestions and solutions as to how resolve this problem, specially since i have very little experience with this kind of circuit problems.

**broken link removed**
The use of an inline resistor is the most rudimentary and easiest way to connect the devices together.

P4R4V4C4

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for the link! It's a great help... now i've just got to see if it works for me!

There are also several level shifters or level translation packages available:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Just to name a couple.

They save a little time, board space and transmit a cleaner signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back