Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Translate MATLAB codes to Verilog Modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

UFK

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello
Im new here. Im working on SPIHT Algorithm for my MS Thesis. Can someone please advise me on how i can convert MATLAB code to Verilog modules? I have some experience with Xilinx. Please help me

There are many ways to go about doing this. If you used the Xilinx system generator tools in Matlab, you should be able to simply output the HDL. Otherwise, there are other "C to H" style tools available. Here is an EE times article that talks about some of the latest advances
**broken link removed**

If you have decent Verilog experience, translating by hand will probably get you the most efficient results.

UFK

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks alot mux_master

Yes you are right that writing by hand will be most efficient. Ill try the Xilinx system generator though.
Ill specify a bit about my thesis. See i am using a MATLAB code for SPIHT algorithm for image compression and I need to convert it as it is to Verilog and then make changes to optimize it. The SPIHT proceeds in several phases so i have individual MATLAB files for each function and i considered translating each file to individual modules of Verilog. Do u think this will work?
Perhaps you could advise me further.

Btw thanks alot for the article.

Yes, that is one way to go about doing it. The way I have done things like this in the past is to use the Matlab model to produce known inputs to stimulate the Verilog design. Then you can simulate the verilog design, collect the outputs and compare them to the Matlab outputs. Given the same inputs, the two systems should produce the same outputs. I have done this for delta sigma modulators and H.264 converter with good success.

I am not too familiar with the SPHIT algorithm, but the general approach is to think about how the various sections of the algorithm can be divided into hardware modules and split it up that way. Making block diagrams for data flow is usually a good start. The individual files for each function may already provide a good logical partition as well.

mux_master said:
Yes, that is one way to go about doing it. The way I have done things like this in the past is to use the Matlab model to produce known inputs to stimulate the Verilog design. Then you can simulate the verilog design, collect the outputs and compare them to the Matlab outputs. Given the same inputs, the two systems should produce the same outputs. I have done this for delta sigma modulators and H.264 converter with good success.

I am not too familiar with the SPHIT algorithm, but the general approach is to think about how the various sections of the algorithm can be divided into hardware modules and split it up that way. Making block diagrams for data flow is usually a good start. The individual files for each function may already provide a good logical partition as well.

What you're saying sounds more of a verification, you're independently comparing output results of MATLAB to Verilog simulation result!!

How exactly are you converting MATLAB code to Verilog is still a mystery to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong here.

You are correct ... I am talking about how to verify that once you do the conversion it is correct. I'm not sure how complex the algorithm in question is, but I would at least investigate doing it by hand. As for the method to do that, I don't think I can really say a step by step approach. Software implementation and hardware implementation are going to take different forms and this is going to be highly dependent on the nature of the algorithm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back