Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Build an USB coin acceptor that connects to the PC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericmar

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
usb coin validator

Hi huys, I'm a newbie here. I just need some helps on doing my small project. I'm trying to build an USB coin acceptor which interface with the PC and display the remaining credits on a LCD. However, I hv no idea on how to build the circuit for the USB interface. I think I will need to use a PIC, right?
Can anyone give me some helps?

Thanks a lot!

hi Friend ..
Listen that sounds like a nice idea.. whenever you deal with money is a good idea!!! Anyways .. here every bodyknows that in order to deal with a USB connection is better to go with a solution that is complete ,hardware + drivers .. There are several of those .. but the most obvious is FTDI from www.ftdichip.com .. they will provide the drivers for free.. So you wil be able to deal with just your project
idea .. otherwise .. dealing with drivers . can be a nighmare if is your first time . FTDI will provide you with samples .. and the chips are cheap !
good luck !

eltonjohn said:
hi Friend ..
Listen that sounds like a nice idea.. whenever you deal with money is a good idea!!! Anyways .. here every bodyknows that in order to deal with a USB connection is better to go with a solution that is complete ,hardware + drivers .. There are several of those .. but the most obvious is FTDI from www.ftdichip.com .. they will provide the drivers for free.. So you wil be able to deal with just your project
idea .. otherwise .. dealing with drivers . can be a nighmare if is your first time . FTDI will provide you with samples .. and the chips are cheap !
good luck !
So which FTDI chip do u recommend me to use?
Actually, my project is just like building a hardware, which is the coin acceptor and connects it to the PC. But after I did some research on USB, I really think that it's a bit too hard to do the implementation with USB.

ericmar said:
I will need to use a PIC, right?
There are two pic model with USB inside PIC16C745 and PIC16C765 (there are only EEPROM chips, and windowed version cost about 11$ per chip). In Your device You can use any kind of microcontroler (atmel,philips, microchip etc) with build in USB OR any kind of microcontroler (without usb support) and some kind of usb interface linke FDDI or philips (or national?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back