Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Launch Eggs Off Balcony To Target 12M away

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamey_270

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need some help brainstorming ideas for an engineering project I am doing. We are supposed to be replicating a skyscraper escape system scaled down. In place of a skyscraper we have a 25 ft balcony. In place of people we have a dozen grade A eggs. I need to design a device that can get the eggs from the balcony to a 3m diameter target 12m away from the balcony on the ground.

Constraints
• Use only unmodified Grade A Large chicken eggs
• Energy must be supplied within the system
• Before activation, must fit within 1m x 1m x 1m box
• System will be weighed before activated
• Eggs are loaded after weighing and before activation
• You only have 3 minutes to do everything!
• The system MUST be safe.

A powerpoint sort of describing the project can be found at http://ide20.com/upload/Lecture3-TheDesignProject.pdf

We have an idea of what our team wants to do, but I would like to get some different perspectives on the project.

Hello,

Is it allowed to have people on the ground to fasten something?

If so, you can shoot a guiding line that is attached to something to get some basic tension in it. You can use a compressed spring or compressed air for that.

A carriage with a kind of air brake system (parachute, rotating propeller) may safely evacuate the eggs from the balcony. For the last meter, you may use a friction brake if it turns out too difficult to maintain sufficiently low speed with the air brake alone.

Other option is to accelerate the eggs to gain sufficient speed to overcome the 12m. Landing goes via a parachute. Of course timing is critical and high winds may render such a solution useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back