Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

detach 4-5 PCs completely from 220V with a relay or a switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zedman

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'd like to detach 4-5 PCs completely from 220V with a relay or a magnet switch. I'd happen 2-5 times daily.

Which one is better to use here a 250V/16A Tyco relay or a 16A magnet switch?
The PCs will be switched only when they are in OFF state so as I measured approx.: 5x70mA=350mA will be switched. But if it's ON it should whitstand the 5x450W (~10A) they consume.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Zedman

Relay vs. Magnet switch

I would suggest RELAY is a better option, which is a reliable and simple method.

Re: Relay vs. Magnet switch

They mechanical and electrical lifetime of both I've chosen are almost the same. But I read the magnet switch is more robust.

On the other hand the Tyco relay has 2 coils and I can easily control it's state, while with the magnet switch I'd need a second contact since it's 220V impulse driven.

Added after 3 hours 20 minutes:

But since the magnet switch is more robust, have larger contacts, will the relay stand the 10A as long as the magnet switch?

Relay vs. Magnet switch

defiitely it will habdle if it is rated for that ( select a relay rated 1.5 times of the load current)

I've been using a relay to switch about 30A, and it works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back