Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opportunity project for Mechanical engineers

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepillo

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

We are a research group focused in the design of portable media players and handheld devices. As part of a project aimed at developing an innovative architecture for portable media players/handheld devices, we are looking for Mechanical Engineers with knowledge in mechanical and casing design for consumer devices.
We would like you to help us design a suitable casing for a portable media player/handheld device that fits the needs of the product in terms of size, aesthetics and ergonomy.

Knowledge of design for manufacture, manufacturing processes/materials, CAD tools is required.

We offer the possibility of collaborating in a challenging project that potentially would end up in a device being manufactured.
This is a good opportunity to put in practice your engineering skills and get a good experience in consumer products design. If you find the opportunity interesting, we would like to hear from you. Please leave a message in the forum or send an email to rollo_lol@hotmail.com
Best regards,

DS

Hi There Pepillo,

Interesting problem ??. I am a design engineer who designs and builds crazy things for crazy people. Thats the day job. In the evenings I help other companies to get their designs off the ground and into production.

I can supply work samples of things done in the past. I cannot for present or recent work because I will not do that without express permission from the customer.

Perhaps we can help each other ??.

With best regards,

Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. I have also received your email, your work is very interesting. It looks like you have been very much into industrial design which is good.
This project is a bit different from industrial design, as we are designing a consumer device.

The main material would be plastic, the number of screws and metallic parts has to be minimized. Ideally two parts that fit together, but if you find a way of doing it with less parts or with a cheaper material, that would be great.
The main goal is to minimize cost, this is imperative for the device to be manufactured actually.
The casing would be similar in size to that of the comercial PMP that everybody has in their pockets today, but you are free to innovate with the design as long as you keep the cost low, nice aesthetics and ergonomy.
You would produce files to be sent to the manufacturing subcontractor.

Tell me what you think, if you find it feasible, what do you need, and any ideas you have.

Best regards.

Hello,

I have a mechanical friend with a wide experience in plastic casing also for portable media player.

Please do send your dxf of you pcb at pcb1001(at)gmail(dot)com so we can build a 3d drawing for you..

krgrds,

kris

Ok, I´ll send you the DXF, you can design the casing freely keeping in mind the previous requirements
- Manufacturability
- Low cost
- Style + Design + Ergonomy
- Innovation

You can also make suggestions for another revision of the hardware with respect to board size and shape to match another casing style. For example, making it smaller, options for buttons positioning, display, battery holding, connectors placement.

Best regards

D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back