Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to calculate Jitter in spectre

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprinter

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Jitter of a vco

Hi,

I'm trying to measure the phase noise of my CMOS vco at 8GHz. I get pretty decent phase noise curve at higher tuning voltages (i.e. lower capacitance value) but at lower tuning voltages the drift is too much to make a decent phase noise measurement using a PSA.

NOw I want to quantify the instability at lower tune voltages by measuring the jitter. My questions are:

1. is measuring jitter the best way to judge the stability of the vco
2. If so, then how to measure jitter with a 6GHz LeCroy scope?

Thanks,
Adil.

Jitter of a vco

Hi,
What is 6GHz the bandwidth or sampling rate pls?
If its a 6GHz bandwidth scope, & it will triggern_I think you can calculate/compensate for ca. 6dB/octave less amplitude...
K.

Re: Jitter of a vco

karesz said:
Hi,
What is 6GHz the bandwidth or sampling rate pls?
If its a 6GHz bandwidth scope, & it will triggern_I think you can calculate/compensate for ca. 6dB/octave less amplitude...
K.

It's the b/w. Could you elaborate further please.

Thanks,
Adil.

Added after 6 minutes:

biff44 said:
use a delay line frequency discriminator.

That's a good suggestion. I've not done it before but I'll try to find out more about it. IN the meantime I'm trying to get my hands on a signal source analyzer which has a reference source in quadrature & it locks the vco for a phase noise measurement. Anybody has experience with a signal source analyzer?

Thanks,
Adil.

Status
Not open for further replies.