Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cheapest sound synthetizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfinityDz

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello there I just completed a sound synthetizer using a PIC 16F877

I know this isn't something really hard to do but I only expect comments

All the files (proteus design, asm file) are in the attached file, any comments, ideas or questions are welcome

can this synthetize all hearable frequencies fast enough to come out as understandable voice and words?

I'm doing similar thing (basic tone synthetizer) now with Arduino.

no it can't, it's only using a sounder (digital) not a speaker (analog), and I think to synthetize a voice, you'd need a DSP (right?) because A normal µP/µC will never be fast enough for this work

I remember the good old times when we made an apple II speak voices...in the 1978 or around ...
this was a 1MHz 6502 8 bits processor and it was nice ...metallic but nice ...
the dsp didnt exist at that time ...

Kripton, Apple II? I can go older
I remember as a kid with my Dad doing voice on a TI-99 computer and playing games that generated voice based on how you did.
I'd think speed wise it was less than 1MHz as it was the mid-80's. But the hardware was a processor built for voice.

InfinityDz,
A few years ago, I'd seen a high end PIC16F used to demo voice by hobbiest (who unfortunately thought they should keep their code Propertary)
They created custom voice files and loaded them with a computer onto a Flash Card, Then connected the flash card to the PIC which could read the different voice files based on input, Last output voice directly to a speaker.
They did say they programmed with PIC Basic Pro.

My goal is to basicly to do the same thing but with Arduino Atmega328 in C/C++

oh an arduino is far better than an apple II !!!! you should succeed in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.