Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

primary and secondary side

Status
Not open for further replies.

acer22

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How do you guys know which is the primary side and secondary side on different power boards ..I know that the primary side has the big filter cap and transformer ,but is there a way to know when you look at a pcb just learning and would like some tips for a novice.

Hi,
Figure out whether your primary has high voltage or secondary has high voltage.
Depending on that look at the voltage rating of the capacitors, ie, the side (primary or secondary) that has high voltage will have high voltage capacitors.
Determine which side has greater current flowing through. That part on the board will have larger PCB traces to allow that much more current to flow through.
Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Hali,
I belief, these is a question of definition:)
Generally means primary is the input & secondary the output side!
What kind of voltage/current their are/has >> its a second rang of question.
K.

In my opinion is the only way to know some over the real circuit on the board & it depends of kind of your PCB... I mean; what kind of a switcher is it?
If you have thicker (EMC) filter & bridge + a (or2) bigger capacitor for 3-400V:it is a line input for 120/230V, but the primer can be for only 5V dedicated too etcetera...
Than, if you have a UPS or a DC/DC eventually a DC/AC board: ? than is a decision only withe some knowledge over the (parts of) circuit irrealistic.
K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back