Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for using car generator as a battery Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

zafir

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using car generator to produce electricity i just bought an old car generator.My idea is to rotate the rotor of generator either via wind turbine or by coupling it with cycle and then recharge the 12 volt battery with its output.I want to know what factors should i consider in doing so, furthermore can I succeeded in producing enough RPM to generate Electricity from alternator. I have no idea about the required RPM of alternator.Any sort of help or guidance will be appreciated.

Engine RPM varies from 1K to 7K RPM, can u get that amount of RPM?? u can use a Gear mechanism if u have enough torque to drive eg gear ratio 1:2 depending on ur input RPM,
it also depends on which Capacity of battery u r using,
Regards
Engr Asad Hameed
hameeds01@yahoo.com

Not a good idea!
It will generate some electricity but the efficiency will be very low compared to other methods.

As hameeds01 states, getting it to rotate fast enough is your first problem. If you think of how the generator is mounted in a vehicle, normally it is driven by a belt and small pulley. The small pulley wheel is to achieve a speed increase over the engine RPM. At low revs, the generator will not work well, best efficiency would be in the region of 6,000 to 8,000 rpm and a wind turbine would only manage a few hundred in a strong wind.

The other consideration is that vehicle generators have field coils instead of permanent magnets so you would need an energizing current before it would start at all.

Some people have experimented with vehicle generators by dismantling them and replacing the field coils with permanent magnets but it isn't easy to do and even if you can manage it, the efficiency is still lower than other 'home made' types.

Brian.

thanx 4 yr advice. I luv this forum because people responded me so well whenever i ask them

betwixt said:
The other consideration is that vehicle generators have field coils instead of permanent magnets so you would need an energizing current before it would start at all.

Brian.

it will not be a problem bcz "Zafir" is using Generator to charge the Battery as it is used in Cars.
low RPM is again not a big issue as far as he got high torque.
u can convert low RPM to High RPM only & only if u have enough torque to drive the Gear Mechanism

I have hheard people using them attached to small waterwheels to chrge car batteries used on inverters etc to power lighting.

I just had an amusing thought. Using very rough figures and assuming a standard generator pulley is rolling on the rim of a mid sized bicycle wheel, to get 7,500 RPM at the generator would be equivalent to pedaling at about 180 KM/H :D

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back