Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Military radar frying electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Byers

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Suspect I have problems with high power Naval radar frying commercial marine electronics.
Problems occur at a large naval base, and have included 2 gps antennas being wiped out, a couple of PLC nodes, and unidentified voltage spikes at around 3 per minute on a datalogger.
I, personally , suspect Naval attack radar.
Anyone seen similar.
Tks

This is possible, but I would suspect that the RADAR would be sited well away from everything else so that the usual EMI from electronic equipment would not ruin the RADAR sensitivity.

Try this test. Put in series a wire, a diode and a resistor. Put a scope across the resistor. Do you see three pulses a minute? Is the width a few microseconds?

Have a suspect pulse showing on the main battery voltage sensor on a data logger fitted to the vessel.
Approx 6 sec pulse width, possibly as radar turns towards vessel, then away,
works out at 3 revolutions per min.
Logger not sensitive enough to measure radar transmission pulse.
This is what raised my suspicions.

I am looking to it being vessel based high power attack radar or similar - not land based.

The rotation rate points to a long distance search RADAR. Vessle RADARs rotate much faster and are lower power as they only look for immediate threats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back