Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how can i increase infrared LED range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rana naseem javed

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
infrared led range

hi

i want to see in dark through infrared goggles or digital camera i connect 6 infrared leds with 6 volt battery when i see through the camera a light is visible but its light is very poor and i cannot see any thing from some distance.

how can i increase the light to see in dark.

can any body help me

infrared led range

rana naseem javed said:
hi..i want to see in dark through infrared goggles or digital camera i connect 6 infrared leds with 6 volt battery when i see through the camera a light is visible but its light is very poor and i cannot see any thing from some distance.how can i increase the light to see in dark.
can any body help me
You didnt mention how the 6 LED's are connected to 6volt source at present. May be the LED's are not sufficiently powered? Just using 6 nos of 5mm led's are not sufficient. Now at present the Light from the led's are diverged. Use a lens to concentrate the beam. Or you get more powerfull IR led and modules. Try using them..Cheers

infrared led range

It depends on the IR LEDs you're using.
E.g. For my TV at home, the remote signal is received by the TV receiver from upto 10m.
But my AVERmedia TV card senses the IR remote signal from further than 20m. I'm guessing here the Infrared LEDs are quite powerful.

Re: infrared led range

The type of IR LEDs in remote controls are very bright but designed to work in very short high current pulses, often several hundred mA but only for a few milliseconds. They will not survive continuous operation at that current.

Look for LEDs designed for IR security cameras which are designed for your purpose.

Brian.

infrared led range

What about your cameras sensitivity_IR-bandwith pls?
Are you sure, that it can "see" your IR-wavelength?
K.

Re: infrared led range

hi

i want to see in dark through infrared goggles or digital camera i connect 6 infrared leds with 6 volt battery when i see through the camera a light is visible but its light is very poor and i cannot see any thing from some distance.

how can i increase the light to see in dark.

can any body help me
First, if you are expecting a digital camera to be IR sensitive you must remove the IR block filter in front of the lens. It is a small mylar film. Second, if you want to increase the range of IR goggles (I assume you mean the JAKKS Pacific IR goggle EyeClops model - range only 50' - $99 ~ $59), you must get yourself the following:
  1. A 12" length 2" inner diameter piece of black PVC from Home Depot or Lowes.
  2. A Fresnel Lens from a magnifier sheet from stationary store.
  3. Cut out a 2" circle at center of lens.
  4. Keep the lens grooves pointing toward the outside.
  5. Glue it to the front of the PVC tube.
  6. Somehow mount the tube to the goggle secondary IR lamp assembly (7 LEDS) with elastics, tape, etc. You can't mount it on the main LED (10 LEDs) as that's where the IR camera is and the lens would distort your image.
  7. This should act like a flashlight and project the IR light further than 50'.
  8. The lens focal point is just at 12" from source.
Let me know if it works for you...
Spooky

obrazki.elektroda.pl/12_1288732550.jpg

Know your IREDs. Many are designed to be driven at 50mA or more continuously, unlike LEDs of the same size, which usually max out at 20mA. You must read your data sheet. This will also give you information on the dispersion angle.

Know your sensor/lens. Some are designed for visible wavelengths only and have an IR cut filter built in. Commonly available IREDs come in two peak wavelength flavors, 880 nm and 940 nm. Your sensor will be more sensitive to one than the other.

My apologies for covering some information that was included in prior posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back