Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need well pump 220VAC 60Hz Inverter (to buy), but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

quietleader

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm not wanting to risk building something for my well pump which is 260 feet deep and very old. But, I do need to back up my utility power that goes out from time to time. I've looked at http://www.topsalesdepot.com/bwapoin12vdc8.html which should have enough capacity. My 4KW generator barely turns the pump over and then it starts - which makes me cringe. So, I'm looking at 5KW or higher inverters. I have several questions. 1) Will a modified wave inverter be hard on my pump motor even though this inverter boasts some easy starting technology. Is that technology to protect the inverter or the motor? Or, does it protect the inverter at the expense of the motor? 2) I asked this inverter's company if I could divide the 220 into two 110 circuits like I can a normal utility powered 220VAC receptacle. They said no. Does that fact impact how I'm intending to use it as a well pump power source? 3) Does anyone know of a 5KW Continuous Pure Sine Wave inverter from 12VDC (or 24VDC if I have to) that I could have both 220VAC and two 110VAC receptacles and not worry about any of the previous issues? I'm willing to pay for a good one. I'm planning to eventually go offgrid on some acreage I acquired, so I'd like to start with a good inverter. Thanks for you help.

Don

This looks like BS. What are you planning on doing for a battery for a 12VDC-to-220VAC 5kw inverter? Even at 100% efficiency (impossible), it would require the battery to put out 416 amps continuously.

Ken

I think you're correct. I was guessing about 20-25A on the 220 side and about 400-450A in the 12V side.

I was considering using five or six **broken link removed** (12V 200Ah sealed lead acid deep cycle) battieres in parallel to power the pump for a few minutes a few times/day. Clearly, I'm just an uneducated guy that reads what I can find and have only a basic internet knowledge of power, but I thought that would be adequate.

This delivery side would be mated with charge side using a 3kW solar panel array, and two 1kW windmills through a controller. My 110VAC usage is about 3Kw/day. It all may be undersized a bit, but it's all I can afford for now. I was surprised by your BS preface, so I'm clearly missing something very important. Can you help me with my errors?

Did you notice that they were talking as if you could use the 4KW inverter off your car battery.

AH ratings are usually based on use at 1/10 the current of the rating. 200Ah is based on a usage of 20A for 10 hours. If you start using it them anywhere near the 100-200A point continuously they won't last long.

3KW solar panels and 1KW turbines are only valid in the absolute optimum conditions, if then. Unless you live near the equator and on a windy coast, you'll never get those outputs.

You will need to study a lot to get through all the hype out there. And then, with little money, look very hard at the cost benefit ratio. Remember all that stuff you buy needs maintenance and/or replacement..meaning $$$ long term.

Ken

Yikes! I didn't realize there was a 1/10 (effective) throughput max on the batteries. Either I need a lot more - like 20 more I think, or I better consider melting snow for water. Now, I don't know what to do for the pump other than a bigger multi-fuel generator dedicated to water. I did know that about the solar panels. I'm building those myself and figure on using about 3x ideal to get the 3Kw as well as the windmills pumping about 40% capacity 40% of the time (I'm in the Midwest - south of the gigantic wind farms). But I also max'd out my actual usage estimates in my calcs.

So, if I have a 110 VAC 5Kw inverter, but only have a 1000 watt load on it, it would only draw 1/5th as much (along with conversion inefficiencies), right? I'd just waste money on over-capacity that I never used, right?

Also, can you refer to my original post and tell me what you know about question #1? I may have to come up with smaller pumps and shallower water to get water but don't want to waste money on a pure sine wave inverter if it's not necessary. I don't really understand how "modified" modified sine wave inverters are and if they're harder on motors.

I really appreciate your help. I'm trying not to do anything stupid - which is why I joined this board. I'm not new to electrical power, but I am new to making it. I think there is a big difference.

I'm not in a big hurry to get this done, but it can't wait more than a few months.

I'm no expert in where you're going. I would suggest though that you take a look at forums that specialize in alternative and off-grid power.

Goggle: off-grid forum
Google: alternative power forum

Lots of experience out there (and a lot of flakes too. ;) )

Ken

Apollo TrueSineWave - TSW3224
Be the first to review this product

Availability: In stock.

$ 1,606.49

Off-Grid TrueSineWave Stackable Inverter/Charger 120/240 Split-Phase input and output

3200 Watt, 24 VDC, 100 Amp charger
200% surge power capacity
Parallel stacking for more power
Internal transfer relay
UL 1741 & CSA C22.2 No. 107.1-01 Certified

**broken link removed**
I am thinking if purchasing the above Inverter to be run from a 24v battery bank consisting of 8 - 6v 500Ahr batteries
supported by a 1KW solar aray and 500 watt wind turbine which I bought from "TLG wind power" supported by a propane generator which charges the battery bank at 40 amps 24 volt charger for a new house.
We have a smaller sytem running our cottage off a MSW 3000 watt 24vdc to 115 vac $289 inverter which has been running (which does not reguire 220v.) for 8 months now.
I have also bought a 5000 watt MSW 24v to 220 inverter but it came with a 2 wire output so I am looking for an 5 Kw islolation transformer 220 primary volt to 220 seconary with center tap to give me the 220 and spit wave 110 volt grounded system to run my garage/workshop, so if any one know of a used one let me know as a new one cost over 500$
Ron Whorley
transformer layout.jpg (30.7 KB)

Attachments

• transformer layout.jpg
    transformer layout.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 157

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back